Windows 10 Pro Workstation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spyknee, Nov 14, 2017.

1. spyknee

spyknee

HI,

I have a Windows 10 Pro/64, that I put together for VR purposes. Its build 14xx or....

So I have been thinking of updating to the creators update, in googling I learn of the workstation version. I understand that its meant for NVDIMM ram and such, but will it run on my current VR machine hardware, which is stated in system details?

I like the workstations supposed throughput capabilities, the refs filing system.....

My hardwares not tier A+, but it is tier A- tho. I have always been keen on over building for my use, so I think going workstation would fit in. Will my machine run it?

ty

spyknee, Nov 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. spyknee

Ian Administrator

It'll run - but to be honest, it's probably a bit overkill for most end users. I also like the idea of ReFS, but not enough to make the jump yet.

Personally, I'd just stick with the standard edition and save on the licensing costs, unless you have a real need for some of the high end features (i.e. persistent memory)

Ian, Nov 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. spyknee

spyknee

ty
    I also like this level of software in that you can get at more stuff, turn off more crap, streamline the OS for my particular needs.
    I have often wondered what it would be like to install an OS and then turn on, whats needed for that builds use, not the generic middle ground that MS provides, trying to cover all bases at once.

Can I use the current activated key, on my current windows build, or is workstation version special?

I want to install on to a NVME SSD, I feel that a clean install is required so that I can factory reset the SSD, or can I select the upgrade method and just install on top of current. Any thoughts?

spyknee, Nov 14, 2017
  4. spyknee

Ian Administrator

I've seen so little on the workstation version, so I'm not sure what the licensing structure is - at the moment I can't see it available to purchase, but I'm fairly sure you'll need a new license key. It's on Visual Studio Subscriptions, etc... - so if you have access to anything like that, the keys are available already.

Once you do have a Workstation edition key, you can switch without a reinstall apparently. If you're changing filesystem and going to all this trouble, I'd do a clean install (personally speaking).

Ian, Nov 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements