Windows Update made several things not function in new PC with W10 Pro

Reaction score
I purchased a new Dell 8930 XPS tower in October. Everything worked well on very first boot and normal setup stuff. On October 23, 2018 several Windows Updates took place and that is when the weird things started to happen. KB4462919 and KB4100347 were successfully applied that day. The restart after the updates produced two problems. The Dell Logo screen no longer shows the f2 Setup or F12 Boot list and when Windows finished booting a pop up showed up indicating that the Killer Command Center needed to be updated but no option to do the update was available. I could not get rid of the pop up. There is no program to click on to look for how to do updates. Google hits indicated it was a known problem caused by the Windows Updates and that I should download their uninstall and run it. The uninstall ran but did not get rid of everything. Windows keeps updating drivers for whatever the Killer app does. I have worked with Dell to try to get the F2/F12 to show back up and discovered that if I strike any key before the Windows circle of dots shows up they do show up and they do work. Dell wants to replace the motherboard but I don't believe it is hardware associated. I am also working with Trend Micro helping them get information concerning a lockup that happens with their product. In that process they had me place the pc into Legacy mode with Secure boot off. Low and behold booting in this mode makes the f2/f12 show up but the screen resolution is different.
The specs for the pc are:
Dell 8930 XPS
8th Generation Intel Core I7-8700 6 core 12m cache
8gb DDr4
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050TI 4gb Gddr5
256GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2tb 7200 rpm hard drive
Windows 10 Pro

I would like to see if anybody else has come across the F2/F12 issue and what to do about the Killer stuff.

Reaction score
I have a new XPS8930 and I believe I too experience the same F2/F12 issue. I resolved mine by changing which ports I was using to attach the monitor(s). I have two. I had been using the Display port and the HDMI. I now have my main monitor connected to the HDVI port on the video card.

I concluded that I need the NiVidia card to see (use) F2/F12.

Reaction score
"In that process they had me place the pc into Legacy mode with Secure boot off. Low and behold booting in this mode makes the f2/f12 show up"

I do not use the secure boot mode, But I have an idea that this would be normal behaviour. Perhaps someone using the secure boot, and a dell, can advise

But which resolution is changed -the boot screen or your desktop?

Reaction score
Windows finished booting a pop up showed up indicating that the Killer Command Center needed to be updated but no option to do the update was available.
Exactly what does the message say? I used to see one regarding entering your actual Internet speed from the ISP but that did not turn out well.

The F1/F2 option should not have been anything related to Windows update. None of my 5 systems have done that with any Windows updates, so I would look more at Trend Micro. Especially, if it involves itself with the initial boot phase such as searching for a Root Kit.

But, as dustywoodworker mentions, certain outputs normally have a priority as to which monitors they are connected. The Bios of the Video card has to be Secure Boot capable and yours, of course should be.

If you have any sound problems, such as static when using it, check if you have SmartBytes installed. It may show up as a Dell optional update or have been installed as part of the Killer Wireless install.

Reaction score
"In that process they had me place the pc into Legacy mode with Secure boot off. Low and behold booting in this mode makes the f2/f12 show up"

I do not use the secure boot mode, But I have an idea that this would be normal behaviour. Perhaps someone using the secure boot, and a dell, can advise

But which resolution is changed -the boot screen or your desktop?
Thank you for the information about DVI. The monitor I have hooked up for now does not have a DVI port but it is not the one I will use with the new PC. The resolution that changes is the boot screen.

Reaction score
Exactly what does the message say? I used to see one regarding entering your actual Internet speed from the ISP but that did not turn out well.

The F1/F2 option should not have been anything related to Windows update. None of my 5 systems have done that with any Windows updates, so I would look more at Trend Micro. Especially, if it involves itself with the initial boot phase such as searching for a Root Kit.

But, as dustywoodworker mentions, certain outputs normally have a priority as to which monitors they are connected. The Bios of the Video card has to be Secure Boot capable and yours, of course should be.

If you have any sound problems, such as static when using it, check if you have SmartBytes installed. It may show up as a Dell optional update or have been installed as part of the Killer Wireless install.
The reason I mentioned Windows Updates as the source of the F2/F12 thing is that like I mentioned earlier the problem showed up AFTER the windows updates. I'll bet I need to use the DVI port on the graphics card like the other person mentioned. As far as the Killer Update problem is concerned that message also came up AFTER the restart for Windows Update. The message only indicated that an update was needed for Killer Command Center but offered no place to click on update. When I click on the Windows close X the message pop up comes right back. I did chase through Google hits and downloaded and ran the uninstall and no longer have the message pop up. The only hardware I have with the Killer name on it is the Ethernet adapter. Updates for drivers from Rivet also were done on 10/23/2018 and 10/24/2018. My Wi-Fi adapter is from Qualcom. I wonder why I need the Killer Command Center anyway. I am not a gamer.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I just went to the site linked and downloaded the latest version of the suite which states it is for Windows builds 1803 and later. The original download took care of the drivers for the Killer Wireless and then I was sent to the Microsoft store to download the Control Center.

Killer and Qualcomm have some type of agreement or one is now controlling the other, I don't remember.

Reaction score
I'm confused. I have something that came with Windows 10 ("Killer Control Center") but it doesn't seem to do anything and there is a notation on the page that states "No Killer Network Interfaces Connected".

Does this mean, I don't need it OR don't want it?

What does Killer do for the user that has it loaded. It looks like something for Gamers. If that is the case -- I don't need it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
AFIK, secure boot bypasses access to the bios and boot menus on most systems. After all, if the user has access to the bios and boot functions its not a secure boot!

Reaction score
What does Killer do for the user that has it loaded.
I does probably need a Killer Wireless card .. This is one thing it does showing a wireless network map and signal strengths.

KW_WiFi.JPG

Reaction score
AFIK, secure boot bypasses access to the bios and boot menus on most systems.
The only thing that would keep the user out of the Bios is a Bios Password. Secure boot is not related to the Bios access.

Reaction score
AFIK, secure boot bypasses access to the bios and boot menus on most systems. After all, if the user has access to the bios and boot functions its not a secure boot!
The only reason I had secure boot off was for Trend Micro to make changes to several of their system services as they go about trying to solve their huge performance problem on this pc. I have a total UEFI pc and that is they way it is except for the Trend Micro thing. I just noticed that when in Legacy mode the F2/F12 keys show up when they are supposed to.

Reaction score
Are you saying that Trend Micro contributes to the fact that F2/F12 are (were) inaccessible. I ask because I have always been a Trend Micro user and I now have normal access to the BIOS. I changed my monitor configuration. That's a different thread.

Reaction score
Are you saying that Trend Micro contributes to the fact that F2/F12 are (were) inaccessible. I ask because I have always been a Trend Micro user and I now have normal access to the BIOS. I changed my monitor configuration. That's a different thread.

No. The Trend Micro problem has noting to do with F2/F12 not showing up in native UEFI mode. Their problem is related to consuming 100% of the C drive such that nothing else can happen. They ask me to put the pc into Legacy mode so they can change root stuff without problems. That's when I notice that in Legacy mode the F2/F12 show up. Trend Micro is not saying where their problem is just that it is related to Windows 10 compatibility. That's strange because I have two other Windows 10 Pro images with Trend Micro and don't have the problem.

Reaction score
Here I am back again after a long while. Dell has given up on trying to find out why the progress bar and F2/F12 don't show up at boot unless I strike any key and they finally realized it has nothing to do with the mother board or their desire to swap it out. Does any one know what code is responsible for displaying the progress bar and F2/F12 underneath the Dell logo in a UEFI Secure boot pc? Dell says that this is the way UEFI Secure Boot is supposed to work. Really?

Reaction score
I just started my system from a powered down condition. All I saw was the Dell logo then the lock screen. No F key options or spinning dots.

Have you tried enabling or disabling the Fast Startup option.

There is also a firmware entry in the Device Manager which updates with new builds.

Reaction score
I just started my system from a powered down condition. All I saw was the Dell logo then the lock screen. No F key options or spinning dots.

Have you tried enabling or disabling the Fast Startup option.

There is also a firmware entry in the Device Manager which updates with new builds.
Fast Startup is disabled
The firmware entry has a date of 2006.

Ask a Question