Windows 10 update has made my laptop unresponsive

Reaction score
I was on my laptop last night. When I clicked the "Shutdown" button the screen came up indicating there were updates to be installed and I selected to update and then restart. So, after it had updated and restarted, I checked to make sure the update showed as successful, and then I shut the computer down.

I went to get on it tonight and there is definitely a problem, which I can only assume must have been caused by this update.

No matter what I try to do: open a file, open a folder, right click on a folder -- it either doesn't happen or takes forever. Then I opened Google Chrome and it would not load. It opened, but the tab just kept showing "Loading ... ."

I had to force a shutdown because my start button wouldn't open so I did that. I opened my Mozilla Thunderbird and it took a long time before my email messages loaded. Then I tried to open Chrome again and the same story. I went back to Thunderbird and that was grayed out and not responding.

That laptop was working fine last night before those updates ran.

When I got on this desktop today it also ran the updates and this computer was also real sluggish and not totally responsive after, but it is still functioning.

Can someone please help me?

Reaction score
After two more forced shutdowns and then restarting, I finally got Chrome to open and load this forum.

I use the FVD speed dial and that loaded also and I was able to open amazon.com from it, so, maybe things are straightening out. What's been going on is very strange though. I haven't begun to tell it all on this forum because it would take a book.

After my 2nd forced shutdown, I thought things were solved because things on my desktop were working. As soon as I tried to open Chrome, which failed, and then tried to open Firefox and it wouldn't open either, then all the other functions went haywire again. So I forced shutdown the 3rd time and now Chrome opened.

Hopefully it's stable now. If not, I will come back. Thank you for responding.

Reaction score
Well, things worked great all evening after my 3rd restart. Tonight I booted up and the same problems all over again.

When I clicked on the page where the box to enter your password appears, it took forever for that page to open. Then I got to my desktop and all the same old stuff started to happen. Google would not load. I clicked to open Task Manager and a dark grey box opened with nothing in it. I clicked to open settings and the box opened but there was nothing in it.

I'm about half afraid to just uninstall, because something is messed up and I'm afraid it won't uninstall properly and then I'll have double the trouble.

Can anyone please offer some suggestions.

Reaction score
Well, you only have 10 days to uninstall. Ideally you would have created an OS Partition Image or OS Disk Image that you could just restore and start over with the update downloaded from the catalog. Macrium Reflect would have saved you in less than 20 minutes!!

If you were working good before the WU, uninstalling it should put you back where you were before installing it. Its normal protocol for a bad WU installation If you don't have Image backups.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, you only have 10 days to uninstall. Ideally, you would have created an OS Partition Image or OS Disk Image that you could just restore and start over with the update downloaded from the catalog. Macrium Reflect would have saved you in less than 20 minutes!!

If you were working good before the WU, uninstalling it should put you back where you were before installing it. Its normal protocol for a bad WU installation If you don't have Image backups.

Yes, I just noticed your on a laptop. So many notebooks don't like the drivers that WU wants to install for you. You should go to your manufacture support website and download the latest hardware driver they supply. You should block driver updates in WU and just check for updated drivers from your manufactures support website. Any of these could cause the issues you are experiencing.

Reaction score
Well, you only have 10 days to uninstall. Ideally you would have created an OS Partition Image or OS Disk Image that you could just restore and start over with the update downloaded from the catalog. Macrium Reflect would have saved you in less than 20 minutes!!

As a matter of fact, I do run Macium free. I think I'm doing it properly. The truth is I don't understand it real well and it scares me. Heck of a note, huh? You can't even ask a clarification question on their forum unless you have the paid version, and I can't afford the paid version,

Reaction score
Yes, I just noticed your on a laptop. So many notebooks don't like the drivers that WU wants to install for you. You should go to your manufacture support website and download the latest hardware driver they supply. You should block driver updates in WU and just check for updated drivers from your manufactures support website. Any of these could cause the issues you are experiencing.

That could very well be the problem because I have this old Dell desktop (that just simply keeps on ticking) and it did make things a bit squirrely on this machine for a spell, but then it all ended up fine. How do I block WU driver updates?

BTW, last night after 4 forced shutdowns, After the 4th restart I ran sfc /scannow and there were no integrity errors found. I ran a program someone suggested called Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and the results showed that things were perfect. with the hard drive were perfect. The machine ran great the rest of the time I was on it. I'll be curious to see what will happen today when I boot it up.

Just curious, how could you tell I was on a laptop?

Thanks for all your help and responses.

Ask a Question