SOLVED New Lumia 640 Purchased 8/29/2016 with Windows 8. Can I Update to Windows 10?

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Lumia 640 today and I am trying to update to Windows 10. I went to the Windows Store and downloaded the Upgrade Advisor and it said that the phone was eligible for Windows 10. I have updated the phone to Windows 8.1, but when I go to "settings", to "phone update", it tells me "Your phone is up to date."

Can I update to Windows 10, or is the update period past (even though the phone was purchased new from Best Buy today)? Why isn't it updating now? Do I have to wait a certain period? I have not yet placed a sim card in the phone. Perhaps that is the problem.

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the 640 will support but not officially. I have the 635 and it lacks the required memory or it would support Windows 10 as well. My 635 only has 512MB memory and the requirement is 1GB memory. As for the main question, which is asked in the second paragraph, I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you.

Reaction score
Thanks, Clifford. The 640 has 1 GB Memory, and the Windows 10 Update app says it is eligible. My question, then, is why it isn't updating. I want to update before I take the phone to Cricket and register it with them.

Reaction score
I think I remember someone saying you may need to join the Insider Preview. That is since the phone is not officially supported, it will not offer to upgrade automatically. Therefor the user will need to take all responsibility for the upgrade.

Reaction score
Windows 10 for the Phone is not out yet? I thiought it is. I have 7 computers at home, 6 running Windows 10 and the other running insider update, so I am already an "insider". I guess I'll have to find the setting to go to update for this phone. Once I get it up and running and the final version of 10 comes out, I guess I could end the "insider" relationship on the phone.

Anyone with better ideas?

Reaction score
I cannot find the settingto become an insider on this phone.

However, Upgrade advisor says " Good news! Your phone is eligible for upgrade to Windows 10. We are working with your mobile operator and phone manufacturer to make the upgrade available for your phone and you'll see a notification when it's ready."

I guess that I will have to register the phone with Cricket toi get the update. Anybody know?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF it's a cricket branded phone and you are using their service (SIM), then you will probably be better off waiting for the roll-out to include you mobile service provider.
You mention in the title that it is a Windows 8 phone.... Is it really a Windows 8 phone or is it 8.1.
IF it is 8.1 then you should be able to go to the Windows Store and download the insider app and run it, if you want to go the insider route.

Reaction score
The phonei is a Windows 8.1 model. I wnt down today to the Cricket Store and offically placed it on the Cricket system. I also brought my old number with me. After about 4 hours (they said 2), it can finally accept calls (and Verizon has learned that I am now gone).

I went to the settings app and checked updates, but the phone is still not updating to Windows 10.

Does anyone know if Cricket is allowing updates to 10 yet?

Reaction score
Ok, apparently Cricket has not rolled out Windows 10 yet, so I decided to try the "Insiders" version. I downloaded the Windows Insiders app from the Windows Store, installed it, and signed in (I am already a Windows Insider, having 7 computers in my home, one, a Lenovo T420 i7 machine, which is the "Insider" version build 14915 installed). While I use the "fast ring" version for my laptop, I decided to use the "slow ring" version of Insider for the phone, reasoning that if they find a major problem or bug with the fast ring users, they won't release to the slow ring until the problem is fixed. I only have one phone, but if my laptop has a problem, I have others that I can use.

Windows 10 downloaded to Version 1511, Build 10586.107. A couple of days experimenting with the phone since the upgrade has demonstrated to me that it is stable, but I won't go so far as saying that the insider update will work for everybody. However, if you do update via the insider method, a "reset" to the phones original software is always available to get you back to that "new phone' feeling. Just be sure to backup anything you feel is important to keep as a reset will delete your settings, contacts, etc., etc.. I did the update to a brand new phone and only had a couple of contacts in the phone, so I was not worried about backup, but that is probably not true for you.

Ask a Question