New windows 10 update has cobbled my surface pro useability

Reaction score
Have just received the update to evaluation copy 10074 on my surface pro and have now got three new big issues.
1)The Windows start menu won't open so the only way I can access apps is by holding down the start menu and using the "Run" command. Cannot access any Apps not already pinned to my taskbar and can't access the feedback App either!
2) The "search the web and windows" feature doesn't work at all as I can't enter any text in the box directly and starting while on desktop used to automatically work but this is now broken too.
3) At login I setup to use my picture password. This now quite often only half displays meaning I can't see the picture to enter my password. I have to hard reboot several times to get the full image to load so I can then sign in.

If anyone knows how to solve one or more of these issues i'd be very interested as this latest eval copy is nearly unusable.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check Windows Updates (settings / update & security)
This build has a couple updates which may help with your issues although I can't say for absolutely sure.

Reaction score
Thanks, if possible, I'll have a look tonight and let you know if I can do anything. I wonder if I will be be able to get to the Windows Updates area as I can't open Apps or search for any programmes. If anyone knows the command I can enter in the "Run" dialog, then I'll definitely be able to open the Windows Updates App.
Thanks

Reaction score
Unfortunately, as expected I cannot access Windows update. On further investigation it turns out any of the Apps which use the Metro interface (is this now called the Modern UI?) will not open. This includes not being able to access the notifications tool bar, setup wireless access and many other areas. I am simply hoping a new update will be received automatically and this problem will be resolved. If not, then I guess I'll have to perform a full wipe. Does anyone know if there is a setting I could turn on or off using command line.
At some recent point in the past I could toggle between tablet and non-tablet mode, I* can't find where this is now (perhaps buried in an App I can no longer access) but I wonder if this could be the route of my problem. Any advice welcome.

Ask a Question