Problem with USB windows 10.

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gilera, Dec 28, 2018.

1. gilera

gilera

Sometimes after shutdown of computer when i reboot i lose the usb which i have my DAC plugged into.
    To regain it i have to first unplug the USB, go into device manager and disable and then re-enable the USB composite device associated with it, then plug in the USB, it will then work ok until next reboot. I have tried turning of USB selective suspend. Have tried a powered hub also added an item to reg which should prevent it turning off. Any suggestions please?
    Snap 2018-12-28 at 14.26.34.jpg

gilera, Dec 28, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. gilera

Bighorn

Something I've seen happen with USB, one is that the BIOS supports USB 2 ports while USB 3 requires the OS loading so it has drivers if the ports exist. The other is if the DAC uses USB 2 or if it can use/requires USB 3. USB 3 ports have to exist on the Notebook/Laptop as they can't be added like with a Desktop. Usually the USB 2 ports have a black center and the USB 3 have a blue center. Newer machines may have a different combination.

The type of port can be an issue with the startup and what loads first, USB 2 by the BIOS and USB 3 needs drivers in the OS.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Bighorn, Dec 28, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. gilera

Wolfie

Wolfie, Dec 29, 2018
  4. gilera

gilera

Thanks for replies, i have no wish to update windows as all is running well. The DAC runs great once i get the USB to connect. It used to work OK but at some stage it has started to do this strange thing. I will continue disabling and re-enabling for the meantime.
    Have now found out if i unplug DAC usb after computer shutdown and do not plug back in until after reboot it works OK so will continue with this until i find a simple cure.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    gilera, Dec 29, 2018
  5. gilera

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

This may or may not be important, but....
    Just for clarification, as I can't seem to determine from your posts above....
    Does the problem only happen after a complete system shut down or only after a reboot / restart
    OR
    Both???

Trouble, Dec 29, 2018
  6. gilera

gilera

Both Reboot & after shut down.

gilera, Dec 29, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question