SOLVED Problem with USB windows 10.

Reaction score
Sometimes after shutdown of computer when i reboot i lose the usb which i have my DAC plugged into.
To regain it i have to first unplug the USB, go into device manager and disable and then re-enable the USB composite device associated with it, then plug in the USB, it will then work ok until next reboot. I have tried turning of USB selective suspend. Have tried a powered hub also added an item to reg which should prevent it turning off. Any suggestions please?
Snap 2018-12-28 at 14.26.34.jpg

Reaction score
Something I've seen happen with USB, one is that the BIOS supports USB 2 ports while USB 3 requires the OS loading so it has drivers if the ports exist. The other is if the DAC uses USB 2 or if it can use/requires USB 3. USB 3 ports have to exist on the Notebook/Laptop as they can't be added like with a Desktop. Usually the USB 2 ports have a black center and the USB 3 have a blue center. Newer machines may have a different combination.

The type of port can be an issue with the startup and what loads first, USB 2 by the BIOS and USB 3 needs drivers in the OS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for replies, i have no wish to update windows as all is running well. The DAC runs great once i get the USB to connect. It used to work OK but at some stage it has started to do this strange thing. I will continue disabling and re-enabling for the meantime.
Have now found out if i unplug DAC usb after computer shutdown and do not plug back in until after reboot it works OK so will continue with this until i find a simple cure.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This may or may not be important, but....
Just for clarification, as I can't seem to determine from your posts above....
Does the problem only happen after a complete system shut down or only after a reboot / restart
OR
Both???

Reaction score
Found a way around problem by fitting a usb switch. Turn this off with computer, switch on when i want to use the DAC. Works 100%.

Ask a Question