USB Problem

Reaction score
Plugging in USB devices while the computer is powered up is causing big headaches. File Explorer stops responding and cannot be closed, even with Task Manager. The only way I have found to resolve this is to do a hard shutdown or hard reset.

This seems to be true for all USB devices (thumb drive, SD card reader, camera, etc) on all USB ports (USB 2 and 3). These devices all behave themselves on a different computer.

Interestingly though, if the USB device is plugged in before power up of the computer then all is good - until I then eject the device and reinsert it giving the same problem.

This never happened with the same hardware running Windows 7 and has not always been happening with Windows 10. My recollection is that it started after the major 1 year update some months ago.

I have tried a few things with no success.
- In Device Manager, going to Power Management for each USB device then unchecking "Allow computer to turn of this device to save power" does not help.
- Updating drivers in Device Manager does not help.
- Uninstalling all USB drivers then rebooting also no help.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Have you tried any new devices, such as flash drives, and do they do the same thing? A different SD card may not help if the SD reader has been ejected.

Have you checked the Hidden Devices view in Device Manger to see if you can uninstall anything there? When you uninstall a device, do you check the box to remove all drivers? If so, do you have drivers download to replace them with?

Have you loaded the chipset drivers for your system?

Since you have reinstalled the drivers, this may not be necessary, but check all the hubs in Device Manager to see if they have an advanced tab which holds a reset button and select that.

While you are looking at properties, you might check some of the entries and look at the Events tab to see if it helps explain what is happening.

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass. Thanks for your reply.

Your suggestion to look at the Events tab was a good one. For my USB controllers, the 2 Generic and 6 Root Hub all show "Device could not be migrated", the rest are good. Uninstalling then scanning for new hardware just gives a new event saying the same.

This thread in answers.microsoft.com does not help at all. There is no clear solution given.

I also tried your other suggestions of updating the chipset drivers and resetting in the advanced tab. No luck there.

Thanks again for your help - I'm pretty sure it has pointed me in the right direction.

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what "migrate" means but I assume it means getting the install file ready. It normally shows Device Migrated, then Device Configured and then device started.

Have you tried downloading a driver from the OEM or let Windows find one on the internet? USB devices, especially USB 3.0 needs to go on top of the basic USB drivers, so a chipset driver may help.

On my systems for a USB Root Hub the usbport.inf is used to install the usbd.sys and usbhub.sys.

If you have any device in a USB port, such as an SD card, you might remove them. They may be usable after booting because the Bios sets them up if plugged in.

Ask a Question