Portable workstation issue

Reaction score
I see a couple of links about win8 and this issue .. but nothing but sketchy links to a fix that I dont want try without solid authenticity or origin - this not a link from Windows .. so the issue

I am trying to get to create system image
Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> Goto Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

BUT - it tells me "this feature is not available on a portable workstation"

this is just a regular laptop - I have four others here of which the other 3 it worked yesterday fine ..
is there some setting thats telling Windows this laptop is different from others??

Reaction score
Tim H Have you tried going to the control panel and "Backup and Restore"

Reaction score
yes of course ..

Control Panel -> System and Security -> Back up and Restore (Windows 7)

same thing (it is the same W7 control panel dialog this way or the previous), and

"this feature is not available on a portable workstation"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
this feature is not available on a portable workstation
I assume that you have read this https://social.technet.microsoft.co...s-to-go-computer-but-its-not?forum=W8ITProWTG
In which they discuss a disk collision because of a duplicate disk GUID possibly as a result of a cloned disk
AND
A registry entry for "PortableOperatingSystem"
Which apparently even if you alter the value from 1 to 0 the next time you use the disk it will be reset back to 1 again.
As well as a couple vague reference to a "Nook" device and "ReadyBoost" perhaps being involved.
Don't know if it will help but perhaps worth a read.

Reaction score
not sure I read that one .. when I get the chance I will .. the disk has been cloned a number of times but the clone has never been installed .. its still the original disk .. and it worked normally as recently as August 1, the last time I imaged the disk .. using the same procedure

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
and it worked normally as recently as August 1, the last time I imaged the disk .. using the same procedure
But..... are you perhaps using a different target disk?? Specifically one that the clone was created from?

Reaction score
what difference does the target disk make .. the disk in the machine is the original disk . never been replaced .. yes it has been cloned but a clone never installed .. to the best of my knowleldge .. I havent changed the target cloned disk either .. but I cant be certian of that 'cause I have a number of disks ... but its been cloned several times .. and still as of August 1 I was able to image that original disk that is still in the machine and has never been taken out ..
but now I cant ..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
An image is not a clone. Perhaps the disk collision issue discussed in the link above is not then the problem.
The problem with a "clone" is that the disk ID gets cloned as well, even some of the available disk imaging software will allow you to incorporate the disk ID into the image.
So one might assume that if a disk involved in the process had, had its' GUID changed as part of a clone process, whether or not you ever physcially installed the cloned disk into the computer, the Disk GUID would or at least may conflict with the disk you are attempting to backup / image now.
Just a thought.

Reaction score
Save all your important date and perform a System Restore back to August 01, the last time it was known to be operating correctly.

Ask a Question