SOLVED How to get a Win 7 Pro to display users on a Win 10 Pro on a Private network

Reaction score
When I log onto a desktop computer running Windows 7 Pro and click on the icon for Windows Explorer/Networking my Windows 10 Pro notebook is shown, however the only User is Public.

The configuration on Win 10 Pro notebook is Network and Sharing Center/Advance sharing:
1. Private profile has been selected, “turn on network discovery” is selected with automatic setup checked.
2. All Networks, “Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders” is checked.

By selecting these options the Win 10 Pro notebook became visible on the Win 7 notebook. What do I need to do to allow specific Users to share Folder/Files access on a Private network where there are computers running Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro?

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you set up user permissions did you also set up the security tab for the same shares?These two services need to be set to auto start and start them if there not running
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
SMB 1.0 needs to be turned off on your windows 7 machine
Programs and Features Turn on windows features uncheck all three
SMB.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Resource Publication were not running. I turned them on and set them to run Automatically. Problem Solved - Thank you for your help

Ask a Question