How to set up wireless network - post Homegroup Win 10 home.

Reaction score
I’ve tried to set up my home wireless network and have looked at countless posts, but it seems that work-arounds have disappeared, just like Homegroups. For example I looked at a post of this site which mentioned activating “SMB Networking” via Windows Features. I tried that, but only found “SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support” as an option…I’ve tried to follow instructions from various web pages but always get to a step that is not available anymore. Folks say, “MS removed that option after build #....”

I have 2 laptops and one PC showing up on my network, but can’t seem to share them. I can print remotely from all three, so there is some communication. Anyone have a suggestion while I still have some hair left? Thanks.

Version: 21H2 Build: 19044.2604

Reaction score
Thanks John, for the link. As usual I ran into a glitch as I followed along.
In settings> WiFi > Sharing Options (Advanced Sharing Options in my Case) and (private) current profile - I repeatedly selected > turn on network discovery, and turn on automatic setup... When I clicked > save changes, the screen disappeared, and I was back at WiFi again. When I went back to Advanced sharing options the network discovery was off again. (Sigh)

What am I missing here? Seemed so simple on the video :)

Reaction score
I do file sharing differently, have a NAS drive attached to my Router via Ethernet cable [2TB RAID 1 on 2 x 2TB drives]. I can access, edit, store, delete, etc., the files on it from any computer whether connected by Wire or Wireless/Wi-Fi, just have to Map the Public folder on it in File Explorer. I do it on Win7, Win10, Win11 and Linux Mint. I don't have a need to Map the drive on different computers or connect directly to them.

Reaction score
info to set up sharing
click search type workgroup enter
in system properties the setting is showing as workgroup
click change and give your network its own name. I never leave it as default setting.(workgroup)

this may help i can't say it a fix you will have to make the changes on all pc connected to your network

Reaction score
In case it helps anyone with a similar problem. I couldn't "turn on network discovery" or rather I'd turn it on, save changes, and it would revert back again. I learned that network discovery requires DNS client, and mine was disabled. I couldn't turn it back on from services, because start options were grayed out. I changed the value in the registry and got it back. Now I'll get back to the network and see how we do.

Ask a Question