Hypothetical question

Reaction score
An hypothetical question..what would you do or use if microsoft pulled out of the operating system market?.

Reaction score
Keep on using Windows but obviously no updates. Might have to use a different AV system and possible would use Libre Office.
Or go back to Linux.

Reaction score
I'd just start using Linux exclusively. I've been using it for the past 15 years on my backup PC's and my laptop. I only use Windows mainly for gaming. And that's becoming much easier on Linux.

Reaction score
Depends upon whether Internet service was needed, I still have an 80486 Notebook with MS-DOS 6 and Windows 3.1 but no Parallel-port printer and WinXP, Win7 and Win8.1 computers. Also have Linux Desktop and Notebooks.

Reaction score
Since my hatred for Apple is so strong. It would have to be Linux. I'm assuming if everyone was forced out of Windows. One of the Linux distros would become a much better OS.

Reaction score
Would it be safe to keep using windows with no updates though?
The answer is a resounding "NO"!, any hacker worth their salt will hack your system in record time if you don't have security or system updates!. :) You could continue to use it but don't keep any private files or do online banking. :)

Reaction score
Would it be safe to keep using windows with no updates though?
Conditionally, the answer is Yes. The Condition is that the computer whether Wired or Wireless never, ever, connects to anything other than a printer, no Internet, no E-Mail, no nothing outside the building it's in. Any programs to be used or updates necessary for use have to downloaded from somewhere else and sneaker-netted to that computer.

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I would use Linux as there are constant updates for the many variants of it and it is 99% free (there are business models and some special apps that cost a bit). In real terms, it is 100% free unless you use a business model!.

What @Tim Locke said about an AV app would work, assuming an out of date version of Windows is supported by it!. :)

Reaction score
I see no one has mentioned Android if this happened?. Is Android so bad?.

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I would use Linux as there are constant updates for the many variants of it and it is 99% free (there are business models and some special apps that cost a bit). In real terms, it is 100% free unless you use a business model!.

What @Tim Locke said about an AV app would work, assuming an out of date version of Windows is supported by it!. :)
I would bet a $ that if Windows just stopped being supported that the AV companies would continue to support and upgrade their products on it for years. I am thinking of the case where Win 10 21h1 was it. No more updates. I wouldn't be surprised if an AV company bought the rights to update defender for instance.

Reaction score
It's more than just the AV that needs to be updated. Without anyone patching the security holes in the OS, it would become very dangerous to use, regardless of how good the anti virus is. XP is a good example. There are still AV companies that support it, but the OS itself has many security issues. Microsoft would have to open up the source code for it to be properly patched.

Reaction score
It's more than just the AV that needs to be updated. Without anyone patching the security holes in the OS, it would become very dangerous to use, regardless of how good the anti virus is. XP is a good example. There are still AV companies that support it, but the OS itself has many security issues. Microsoft would have to open up the source code for it to be properly patched.
If MS truly gave up on Windows they might just do that. I am sure there are some stats somewhere about the relative weaknesses of Xp and W10.

Reaction score
I honestly think Windows will be around in some form for a long time. I think it will eventually migrate to a modified linux kernel though.

Reaction score
I honestly think Windows will be around in some form for a long time.
Almost certainly, they are busy selling apps and it is a good cause of income for them. I also think that they will eventually move to a Linux based system for home users!. :)

Ask a Question