Here's a question

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Why doesn't MS allow a full format of a SSD/HDD when one wants to do a clean install? It will only allow the "quick" format. Unless I'm missing something....because I sure can't find it. This is only for a single SSD/HDD scenario.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure.... Never tried it.
I usually just boot from the installation media and hit Shift + F10 on the first screen and use the command line interface to open DiskPart and 'Clean" the drive and then install in the unallocated space.

Reaction score
I use the GUI partition manager and delete all partitions then click on "New", as far as I know that wipes the drives, I can only assume it does a quick format as it does it very fast?. :cool:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I use the GUI partition manager and delete all partitions then click on "New", as far as I know that wipes the drives, I can only assume it does a quick format as it does it very fast?. :cool:
That's exactly how I do it and yes it's just the quick format.

Now.....I was having some major issues with this WD Blue 500Gb SSD....No matter how many formats (10) I did the clean install was different then any install I've ever done. It would always tell me I had no internet, when it obvious updated the OS and installed all my drivers. In order for me to proceed....I had to click no internet to finish the setup. Otherwise it would just sit there for hours. I only waited 1 hour.

So I did the unthinkable....I did a full format on the SSD....which I understand isn't good for SSD's....oh well. Boy did that take for ever....then I pulled it out of the docking station.....SOB that mother was hot....I mean very hot. Not that it burned or hurt....but it was hot enough for me to go...hmm this isn't normal me thinks.

Anyway, checking the drive with WD dashboard....it's all good, passes everything and is setting at 99% of life. I haven't used it yet.....

Reaction score
When I clean install I choose to delete all partitions then allow the media to create the ones it requires.
Does this not clean & format the disk?

Reaction score
I usually Uncheck the Quick choice to do a full format. When doing new or clean installs on used drives I prefer booting to a GPARTED LiveCD or USB to delete all partitions, giving an as-shipped condition then let Windows partition and format as it desires, don't see any issues with the computer running that way. Customizing a process sometimes hasn't been the best way to go.

Ask a Question