I shouldn't have epson scan start???

Reaction score
Not sure why this is going on but... I have an epson flatbed and fast photo scanner which works as it should. Issue is with my new brother and readiris portable scanners. Just installed read-Iris 17 Pro and when I try to configure correct scanner I get pop-up window "can't start epson scan". Also noticed I have epson scan and epson scan utility 2 installed... do I need both? I'm still waiting for reply from readiris and epson.

thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A bit out of my depth here, but...
I do have an Epson AiO , so...
I checked the services console
WinLogoKey + R and type
services.msc
Look at the "Epson Scanner Service"
See if it is started, and set to automatic

As an aside
I recently had something similar (although maybe not exactly) going on where I was receiving errors on my Epson when attempting to launch Epson Scan

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

I simply removed the printer from device manager AND devices and printers (Control Panel)
AND
Reinstalled the latest drivers (printer driver and scanner driver) from Epson.

Rebooted the computer and everything seems to be fine now.

Reaction score
Reply back from Epson is that "epson scan" is not supported anymore and I should use epson scan utility 2. Removed it and no longer getting pop-up message. Will update as needed....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to know.
So far, I haven't been offered the update, still struggling along with plain olde Epson Scan.
At least now, I'll be prepared for their less than elegant rollout.

Ask a Question