SOLVED Install win 8.1 back over win 10

Reaction score
I have been operating with win 10 for the past 3 months and I have recently been informed that I can not replace my motherboard and CPU without loosing activation for win 10. Can I reinstall win 8.1 back over win 10, rebuild my PC with a new motherboard etc. then upgrade to win 10 again. Sounds complicated and a real pain but I do not know what else to do. Any Ideas.

Reaction score
As long as you have an 8.1 license which can transferred to a new machine you should be able to do as you suggest.

Reinstalling 8.1 over a newer OS is not normally possible. You will more than likely have to remove the critical partitions for that OS prior to reinstalling.

The Windows 10 digital entitlement is not transferable if certain changes are made to a system so as to make it appear to be a new system.

Reaction score
I have found that many old Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 KEYS once upgraded to Windows 10 are no longer good for a Reinstall. but if you have a Restorable Image, then you can Restore by that Image...
You might try the Format HDD then Clean Install with your Original Media (some report yes while others Report NO)
if you have a OEM Disk then every one that I have tested WORKED.
good luck

Ask a Question