Install Windows without a Microsoft account.

Reaction score
There is a misconception that Microsoft insist on having an MS account in order to install their OS. This is not so. You can follow these steps to install Windows 10 without a Microsoft account. If you wish, you can add an MS account after the install is complete.
  1. Place in your device the Windows 10 boot CD/DVD or external drive.
  2. Follow the instructions on the screen until you reach the “Sign in to your Microsoft account” page. Sign in to your Microsoft account
  3. In the “Sign in to your Microsoft account” page, you will see in the lower side of the screen a feature that says “Create a new account”.
  4. Left click or tap on the “Create a new account” feature.
  5. In the “Create a new account” screen left click or tap on the “Sign in without a Microsoft account” but keep in mind that this option has almost the same purple contrast as the “Create a new account” window so it is a bit harder to spot.
  6. Note: the “Sign in without a Microsoft account” link is situated beneath the “Country/Region” box.
  7. There is a small advantage that, at this point, you can add a more suitable user name for your eventual user folder, than the automated truncated one the computer will assign.
  8. From here you can go and install your Windows 10 operating system without a Microsoft account and use it as you please.
Just as a additive. There have been complaints regarding the profile requirements, when registering an MS account.
To clarify, the requirement for your birthdate is older than the internet.
The legal age to operate any kind of account, varies from countries. Not sure, but I think it is 18 in the US. This is backed up by the similar requirement for your credit card details, which can be instantly checked.
I confess, that for me, it has long been a laugh. Such things are so easily faked in writing, and probably are - constantly.

Reaction score
That is true I do it every time. However even after you plainly state you don't want to use the Microsoft account, the next page still tries to sell you on the idea. They are pushing hard for you to use one.

Reaction score
I have found that to simply not have an internet connection, connected during the install. Then windows install will never ask about an MS Account it installs just like 7 with a Local Account only.
I personally set up MS Account later after my install and configuration are complete that way my Device is registered to my MS Account for future use. Otherwise, I don't sync between devices so all that is by default turned off including one drive.

Reaction score
Never tried that, so I'll take your word for it. I prefer though, after giving it a thought, to obtain any updates which might be lingering and, of course, the activation during the final process of adding the MS account.

Reaction score
Never tried that, so I'll take your word for it. I prefer though, after giving it a thought, to obtain any updates which might be lingering and, of course, the activation during the final process of adding the MS account.

Yea I usually use the latest MCT file, and I have never had an activation problem. And when I do log onto my MS Account my install gets listed. For some installations, I've had to use the Windows store to add Pro So we do need a MS Account even though I seldom use it for anything.

The last time was very frightening and I learned something too. I went to upgrade my SSD on my new Dell Inspiron 13 and found out that my current SSD was encrypted, Turns out that Dell has there Business units set to enable BitLocker as soon as you long on to your MS Account. To unlock it I had to log back on to my MS account and sure enough, there was the Key to decrypt. My first experience with BitLocker. The people in Dell Community sorted it out for me pretty quickly.

Reaction score
Thought I'd add to this, I just Upgraded an HP with Win7 to Win10, no Microsoft account used and it automatically Activated Win10, free. I did it from the USB created with the MCT process but not booted to it, just from Win7 opened Windows Explorer/File Explorer and double-clicked the x64 setup, have found it the best way to assure not losing programs and files [after backing up the files "just in case"].

Ask a Question