Internet Explorer in Windows 10

Reaction score
I recently downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade and find when I switch to Internet Explorer , which I am told is included , the main page on IE refuses to load and I cant get into anything else . Is there something I should be doing to enable IE to work properly . It is listed in the Start Menu on Windows 10 so I assume I can use it . Can anyone tell me if they have an answer to this problem .

Reaction score
I have 2 laptops both running IE11 on Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro.
I have no issues at all.

Have you made IE11 as your default browser ?
I am not saying that is the problem, but it is a start.

Reaction score
I recently downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade and find when I switch to Internet Explorer , which I am told is included , the main page on IE refuses to load and I cant get into anything else . Is there something I should be doing to enable IE to work properly . It is listed in the Start Menu on Windows 10 so I assume I can use it . Can anyone tell me if they have an answer to this problem .
I have 2 laptops both running IE11 on Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro.
I have no issues at all.

Have you made IE11 as your default browser ?
I am not saying that is the problem, but it is a start.[/QUOTE

Reaction score
I just checked my settings and it shows that IE is my default browser but Edge is the one that is loading when I sign in .

Reaction score
I'll start from the beginning. You might know the first half already.

Where is IE11 in Win 10?
Start > left side, click All apps > scroll down to W and open Windows Accessories > right click at Internet Explorer > you can do 3 things..........
1. Pin to Start
2. Pin to Taskbar
3. Right click at Internet Explorer > click Open file location > right click at Internet Explorer > click Send To > Desktop (create shortcut ).

How to make IE11 default browser ?

In the search box, type default programs > at the popup box, click Default Programs > in the new windows, click Set your default programs > wait for it to load > left side, locate Internet Explorer > highlight it > right side, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

IE11 as default.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll start from the beginning. You might know the first half already.

Where is IE11 in Win 10?
Start > left side, click All apps > scroll down to W and open Windows Accessories > right click at Internet Explorer > you can do 3 things..........
1. Pin to Start
2. Pin to Taskbar
3. Right click at Internet Explorer > click Open file location > right click at Internet Explorer > click Send To > Desktop (create shortcut ).

How to make IE11 default browser ?

In the search box, type default programs > at the popup box, click Default Programs > in the new windows, click Set your default programs > wait for it to load > left side, locate Internet Explorer > highlight it > right side, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

View attachment 1267

Reaction score
I followed you instructions and changed the default . It took me to the page of IE but then it freezes and says its not responding . Any other suggestions that might make it work ?

Reaction score
The following method worked in one of the older Insider builds regarding IE11 unresponsive and then restarting by itself.
It might still work for you...............

in the search box next to the Start button , type internet options > click Internet Options at the popup box > click Content tab at the top > at AutoComplete heading, click Settings > UN-check the box " Use Windows Search for better results " > OK when done.

Try open IE11 again. Will it open without freezing ?

Reaction score
The following method worked in one of the older Insider builds regarding IE11 unresponsive and then restarting by itself.
It might still work for you...............

in the search box next to the Start button , type internet options > click Internet Options at the popup box > click Content tab at the top > at AutoComplete heading, click Settings > UN-check the box " Use Windows Search for better results " > OK when done.

Try open IE11 again. Will it open without freezing ?

Reaction score
Just tried that . unchecked the box and now it wont even open the main page of IE . ?? Should I go back and check it again

Reaction score
Yes, check it . Obviously it does not help.
I am sorry, I have no idea why you cannot use IE11.

Please wait till someone else come along to help you.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Wait. After you did unchecking the box, did you REBOOT ?
If you have not, repeat the steps and then reboot.

Ask a Question