PC Keeper pops up in Windows 10 Internet Explorer

Reaction score
I know it's a mean dude to have it hang around a computer. This morning I notice it pop it's ugly head when I was reading my local weather forecast. I have Windows Defender as my anti-virus or what ever Microsoft threw in when I upgraded to Windows 10 for Windows 7. Now, I must try to find how it somehow attached PC Keeper to something. I haven't downloaded anything from the Internet, so, where did and how it became a pop-up.

Reaction score
Could well have been attached to something legit.

If I saw it I would :-
stop it running using Task manager. Making sure that it wasn't in startup, nor services ,nor just running somehow. I would note its actual name ( its real name in the magical sense!, the name that would give me power over it)
Then I'd delete using control panel.
Run Defender full scan and Malwarebytes full scan....although I don't think it will be found as it is a legitimate program.

Then I'd reboot and see if it came back. If it came back I'd do a general pc wide search for the name. Personally I would not use IE on W10, I'd use Edge and Chrome.
I'd check for bookmarks, anything in settings of the browsers, any 'toolbars' .
If you are using Firefox I would check through about:config for the name.

I hate those things.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Additionally, if it still keeps coming back you might also check
Scheduled Tasks
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Task Scheduler
Some of which may not be obvious they may be defined by what appears to ge a GUID, in which case you might have to use the "Actions" tab to actually see what might be called by the task.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. and links. PC Keeper was the background... pushing Driver Update...driver for Windows 7, or such demands. I'll keep a look-out for any future pop-ups.

Ask a Question