SOLVED Recently File Explorer sometimes pops up on wakeup or start

Reaction score
Hi.

For a week or two I have been having a minor issue with my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (version 1607, build 14393.1358): Sometimes File Explorer pops up when I wake my PC up from standby or when I turn it on. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jeppe,

That is a little unusual.

The things that come to mind, which you could check are as follows:
  • Startup folder
    • Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager
    • Select the Startup tab
    • Take a look at what is listed. A shortcut to the Libraries directory for example would cause this behaviour. Deleting such an entry ought to sought things.

• Winlogon Registry key
    • There are two values here that may be incorrect, and thus causing the issue.
    • To quickly check this, press Windows key + S then in search box type Command
    • Now in the search results locate and right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
    • When the UAC prompts you, click Yes
    • Now type or copy & paste the following into the Administrator: Command Prompt console:
Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v Shell

Press Enter key

Sample image

sample1.png

The Data value should be explorer.exe as illustrated above. If it is not you will need to modify this key.

Next, type or copy & paste the following into the Administrator: Command Prompt console:

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v Userinit

Press Enter key

Sample image

sample2.png

The Data value should be C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe, as illustrated above. If not you will need to modify this key.​
Should you discover you need to modify either key and are not sure how to, let me know and I'll post what to do.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you done any further updates since then?, there have been new big updates in the last couple of days!. ;)

Reaction score
Wolfie, I do the updates that come automatically, no more! :) However, I seem to have finally solved my "problem" (see below).

Last edited:
Reaction score
It looks like I have finnally solved my little problem with the assistance of a Microsoft answer. Thanks, though, to Wolfie for generous update info and to Regedit32 for his thorough guidance.

Last edited:

Ask a Question