SOLVED Windows recently did an update, PowerDirector and File Explorer won't work

AOI

Reaction score
I was editing a video for a project, and everything was going smoothly as it usually did. But when I shut it down, Windows 10 updated. I opened my laptop and when I opened PowerDirector 14, it managed to open but then it suddenly closes and an Issue Report opens. I tried opening the project I was editing, it loaded up to 20% but it closes and the same thing happens again. When I tried to open File Explorer, it opens but it suddenly closes and the taskbar disappears momentarily. I've tried using the trial versions of both PowerDirector 14 and 15; I even uninstalled both, shut the laptop down, opened it and re-installed version 14 but as soon as it launches it closes down and Issue Report pops-up.

I really need to finish the project and I don't wanna go through the hassle of resetting the previous version of Windows 10. What should I do without having to resort to resetting Windows 10?

(Thanks in advance.)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
My first thought would be to check to see if the problem(s) is unique and profile specific by creating a new user as a member of the local administrators group.
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe (if you are hiding file extensions then it willl likely only say "Cmd")
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith
Test to see if the problem persists.

IF it does then My suggestion would be to perform and in-place upgrade repair. That is to say...... upgrade it again, overtop of itself from within your current install, just double click setup.exe in the installation media. Just be sure to check the little box to get updates as part of the upgrade process.
That will generally keep all your programs, data, drivers and such safe, but.....
I would still create a disk image before going forward.

Installation media can be obtained here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()

If you already have the ISO you can simply mount it from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.

Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Ask a Question