Taskbar pops up behind open windows

Reaction score
I feel like I can't be the only one who's ever needed to resolve this issue, but searching for an answer is proving to be most difficult due to the keywords involved.

So the issue is that when trying to access the taskbar it either won't pop up from auto-hide because too many open windows are in the way, or if I try to access it in a clear area of the screen it pops up but is mostly hidden by all the open windows and I can't use it until I click on an area of the taskbar so that it moves to the front priority onscreen.

This happens frequently and is a nuisance.

Reaction score
I know this is not the answer you are looking for. But, I would either minimize the open windows or select always show taskbar.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The Taskbar can from time to time start misbehaving. Third party drivers like nVidia for example can introduce Desktop Management apps that can interfere with the Taskbar for example.

Usually when you notice the Taskbar not behaving as anticipated the simplest thing to get it back to how you like it is to do the following:

• Click Start
  • Click Setings cog
  • In the Windows Settings select Personalization
  • On left side select Taskbar
  • Now on right side use the drop arrow to change position of Taskbar. The default position is Bottom.
    • If you change it to Top, then change it back to Bottom you will likely see an improvement.

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations but I'm still experiencing difficulties.

Based on my System Info window I'm currently running version 10.0.16299

I've just noticed that the taskbar is not the only element that should be priority in front of everything. I set my iTunes miniplayer to be on top of all windows and it gets covered up regularly too.

Ask a Question