SOLVED Just out of curiosity....

Reaction score
.... has someone found a way yet to integrate the cumulative updates in the ISO's . The reason I am asking is this: I still have the initial Windows 10 version (10240) stored as an ISO file (Home/Pro) in a 32bit and a 64bit ISO. I would like to integrate the most recent Cumulative update into the ISO as it most likely be the last one for this version (Microsoft however can always change their minds)...
It is not that much of a problem as I have stored the latest CU in my ISO's.
As I said, just out of curiosity...

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly,

I don't think it is possible as the ISO file is basically closed?, I think all you could really do is run a backup image app (on-board or otherwise) and create a full system image of what you have installed and make a note of the version and date once created?.

Some tips from MS here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17127/windows-back-up-restore

Others (howtogeek is a great website!):

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-10/

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-pc

I put all the links for others reading this thread. :)

Reaction score
As Cliff suggests. I am an "image" fan - Acronis in my case.. I realise there are minor differences, but I have, throughout the Windows 10 saga, made virgin images when new builds appeared, and stored them. I then, when I feel the time is ripe, delete the oldest.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The way I see it, the problem with integrating cumulative updates to the Windows.iso, is that many of them are superseded by the more recent updates, so to manually do this would take a lot of time reading documentation first before proceeding.

If you really are intent on doing it though, then:
  • Download WSUS http://download.wsusoffline.net/
    • Create a new folder to save the files you will download using WSUS
    • Use WSUS to download Updates, Security Patches, .Net Frameworks, and if you want Defender updates etcetera, and save them to the folder you created
  • Download a Windows.iso image
  • Create a new folder and name it what you like
  • Right-click the Windows.iso and select Mount
  • Select all folders and files and copy, then paste to the new folder you created
  • Download NTLite https://www.ntlite.com/download/
    • Use NTlite to add the folder you created that now contains all folders and files from your mounted image. Then in the History select your Edition (for example: Windows 10 Home. Let NTLite create an install.wim file.
    • Next in left pane select Update then in top left corner click Add > subfolder and choose the folder you created to store your WSUS cumulative update downloads
    • Apply these. NTLite will skip any superseded, and also any you accidentally download that are not of the correct Architecture type. It will also automatically exclude non essentials, such as security patches released for Adobe Flash etcetera.
    • Finally click the green dot to create your integrated ISO (or as more commonly known, your slipstreamed .iso).

There is a step by step on how to use those two tools here:

https://winbuzzer.com/2015/08/02/how-to-slipstream-windows-10-with-all-existing-updates-xcxwbt/

Pretty pictures and probably a better explanation than me :cool:

Reaction score
yeah, I am a fan of Acronis as well. I was just curious if there was a way like it used to be with XP (but that was easier).
I have stored the CU's in a subfolder on the ISO so it won't be much of a problem to run it from there. Thankfully there are not 300 or so updates to install offline like it is on Windows 7. I just wish Microsoft would do kind of a last Servicepack with all updates before they retire an Operating system. Wishful thinking, I know......

@Regedit32
that way it may work if there is only one version/architecture. My ISO's are like an "All-In-One" Type.

Windows 10 has the advantage that it has only a handful updates due to the Cumulative updates. That makes it of course much easier...

Reaction score
Your best bet is to download a newer build ISO. There has been 3 major builds released since 10240.

I am aware of that and I am running the latest already. I just wanted to see if there is a way to slipstream these cu's into the installation media. It would save some time if one would install the older version (just for the heck of it).
But I can live with storing the updates on the ISO and not slipstreaming it....

Regedit32

Reaction score
that way it may work if there is only one version/architecture. My ISO's are like an "All-In-One" Type.

WSUS allows you to download multiple architecture types.

Provided you have the appropriate Windows.iso they can be integrated.

Reaction score
But I can live with storing the updates on the ISO and not slipstreaming it....
I'm simply saying if you download the latest ISO, you will have no need in slipstreaming any updates. Build 1703 was released the last month or two. You would be wasting your time trying to slipstream an older build.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was under the impression the "Cumulative Updates" were by "definition" cumulative.
That is to say, that the latest "Cumulative Update" would supersede all previous "Cumulative Updates" rendering them unneeded.
So..... with that in mind, only the very latest "Cumulative Update" would be required to make the build / version current and probably not worth the effort of slip-streaming it into an ISO as running a single "Cumulative Update" wouldn't represent much of a burden on time or other resources.

Reaction score
I'm simply saying if you download the latest ISO, you will have no need in slipstreaming any updates. Build 1703 was released the last month or two. You would be wasting your time trying to slipstream an older build.

For me its not a waste of time, its fun and I am trying to learn as well. The original thought was that I basically slipstream the last cumulative update into the original windows 10 install disk, therefore not having the need to update afterwards as a time saver. I like to experiment with older Systems. My Windows Xp installation disks have all updates slipstreamed in it (every update since the last Servicepack). I wanted to do that with the initial Version of Windows 10 as well but I can live with the fact that I only have to install 5 updates to have it on the latest Stand.
It will be the same with the November Update or the Anniversary update when they retire....
At some point the user will not be able to get the recent updates anymore (like windows 2K and XP).

After all, I have purchased all the systems I have and some programs I have do not work with newer systems.

@Trouble you are probably right. It was just an idea and I hoped that there may be a way. I see now that my effort was futile since the cumulative updates, as you said, supersede the previous ones therefore rendering a slipstream senseless....