SOLVED KB3116900 (Cumlative Update) continuously fails ... no error message

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am new to the forums, first post here.

Just want to mention i do have the exact same problem as Russel W. Coover.
I also tried everything which is possible to get the Cumlative Update's installed but nothing and i mean realy nothing seems to work...... always the same thing.... something goes wrong after reboot (also tried clean reboot, etc, etc).

Strange thing is the problems started after TH2 was installed, before TH2 all the Cumlative updates installed with no problems.

Only thing i could think of it atm is it has something to do with:
1. motherboard ?
2 CPU
3. GPU !!!

This is only happening on my Desktop with an AMD R9 290 GPU

On my laptop however all the updates install perfectly.

For me its weird that there is no cure for this (nobody has found a solution)... we are not the only ones which have these problems (google the problem).

Update system from Microsoft is a mess ATM.
So i am stuck on TH2 no more update builds for me :(

Back to Windows 7 ??

P.S
@ Russel W. Coover do you have a graphics card installed on the computer which is not updating ?
Because my last try would be... take the Graphics Card out of the computer => uninstall drivers =>
in the bios change setting to use integrated graphics => reboot => and try again....
But i am not looking forward to this procedure :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave.

I have seen that happen as I have multiple Win 10 machines. But I don't think that is happening at this time. The laptop with the problem was first updated to Windows 10 from 8.1 when 10 first came out, at the end of July. And it was a true update, that is, I didn't wipe the drive and reinstall everything. Perhaps that is what I should do ... wipe the drive, reinstall Windows 10, do all the updates so that the laptop is up to date, and then install all my programs. I do have them all easily available,, most on a USB Flash Drive. But it will take most of a day to do all that ... perhaps sometime next week.

Reaction score
As I say too often. On my slow internet connection All day to get all those updates would be a bonus. About two, even three, days would be closer !!!!

Reaction score
Thanks, Dave.

I have seen that happen as I have multiple Win 10 machines. But I don't think that is happening at this time. The laptop with the problem was first updated to Windows 10 from 8.1 when 10 first came out, at the end of July. And it was a true update, that is, I didn't wipe the drive and reinstall everything. Perhaps that is what I should do ... wipe the drive, reinstall Windows 10, do all the updates so that the laptop is up to date, and then install all my programs. I do have them all easily available,, most on a USB Flash Drive. But it will take most of a day to do all that ... perhaps sometime next week.
This is no 100 % cure (google it) once you have done a new install the same problem(s) might come back again....
not a fix anyway... this is not how it is supposed to work :(

Reaction score
Aeronouts ... The computer I am having trouble with is a Lenovo L520 laptop, with the GPU actually a part of the CPU, so I cannot remove it.

Thanks for the tip, but it won't work here. As I said earlier, I think I will simply install a fresh version of Windows 10., build 10586 if I can find it.

Question for anybody to answer:
Will the current version of Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool" install Build 10240 or Build 10586?

Perhaps I should create a new thread to ask this question ...

Reaction score
Ok, I did download Windows 10 Pro Build 10856 (or version 1511) using the Media Creation Tool, and after backing up all files I knew I needed to keep (including a copy of the Windows 10 Pro Product Key using Belarc Advisor), and proceeded to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro including Hard Drive reformat. While I have not yet finished, adding all my software, the Win 10 install was very easy.

When Win 10 Pro first booted to a screen where I could actually use the computer, I first placed shortcuts to "This PC", "Network", and "Control Panel" on the Desktop. The 2nd thing I did was to go to "Settings", to "Updates and Security", to "Windows Update", and I asked the computer to find all updates. It did and installed several, including KB3116900. The installs were all successful and typing "winver" in the Cortana box shows that the computer is running Build 10586.29, which is the latest build.

The problem is solved, but it should have been easier than this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The problem is solved, but it should have been easier than this
Glad you've managed to resolve it and you are absolutely right it certainly "should have been easier than" that.
The only other thing I might have suggested you try, would have been what's called an in-place upgrade / repair where you install Windows 10 over top of itself. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.

A little after the fact I know, but something you might keep in mind as a potential last ditch solution if you find yourself in need of it at some later date.

Reaction score
Thanks. Trouble. and thanks to the others that offered possible fixes, too. I really do appreciate the effort people put into this in trying to help others.

Reaction score
Glad you've managed to resolve it and you are absolutely right it certainly "should have been easier than" that.
The only other thing I might have suggested you try, would have been what's called an in-place upgrade / repair where you install Windows 10 over top of itself. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.

A little after the fact I know, but something you might keep in mind as a potential last ditch solution if you find yourself in need of it at some later date.

Thanks for the post Trouble. Like other posters here I tried everything over the past week to get the KB 36116900 update to install and nothing worked! I used the process from your https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ link and it worked perfectly and it kept all my files, email and programs intact.

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it Shaun.
As I said in my post. It works "sometimes". It has worked for me in various versions of Windows on numerous occasions, but....
At the same time, I realize that there are some instances where it doesn't result in the desired outcome for everyone who attempts it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the post Trouble. Like other posters here I tried everything over the past week to get the KB 36116900 update to install and nothing worked! I used the process from your https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ link and it worked perfectly and it kept all my files, email and programs intact.

Thanks!
Ok thx for letting us know this solution seems to work.

1 Question though.
Did this method save all the settings => windows/drivers/apps/programms running in background etc. ?

Because i did spend quit some time to get this desktop-pc running smoothly (games/3d modelling/office stuff, etc)
Not looking forward to do it all again.

P.S
I own Windows 10 home version not the Pro version :( i suppose it should not make any difference with the updates failing to install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did this method save all the settings
Yes... typically it does no harm to any of your installed programs, drivers, settings and such, but....
I would still, never attempt doing anything like this without first having a known good disk image of my current install.

Reaction score
Well i did try this => https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ aswell.
And guess what..... no luck again :( kinda fedup with it atm.
The error which came up after it ended the Win10 setup/repair was => 0x800F0830 - 0x20003 and some message called (i translate from dutch language) the installation failed in the fase SAFE_OS with an error during the INSTALL_UPDATES procedure.

if you google it its also not an unknown error....
Some idea's... anyone ?

Ask a Question