SOLVED Lexmark Printer / Scanner not working after KB3116900

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 on a brand new computer that I've been using for a couple of weeks. My Lexmark 2600 (USB) printer/scanner has been working fine up until now. I was using the latest version of the Lexmark driver for this computer. Yesterday, a Windows Update was suggested to me and I went ahead and installed it. (Looking at installed updates, it was apparently KB3116900, because that's the only update that is listed).

This morning, I went to scan something with my usual scanner software. It hangs. Trying to print just a simple text document with Notepad, it fails. I keep getting "Communication Not Available" on Lexmark 2600 USB001. Basically the error popup says to power it on and off, check USB cable, reboot windows, etc. I have done all of these things to no avail. I have also unplugged all other USB devices, and tried different USB ports to no avail.

I did notice that when I plugged in my USB cable this morning, it "installed drivers" (uh-oh, sez me)

The printer itself looks fine when viewed in Device Manager and in the Printer Devices. Then I re-installed the printer driver I installed when I commissioned the laptop a few weeks ago, using a "repair" install. No help.

I did go in through Printers / Properties and somewhere in there (in Windows) there was a "scan using device", and it actually successfully scanned. But my normal scanner software, that worked yesterday before the update, doesn't.

I deleted the printer (and print spooler) completely using Device Manager, and let it re-install. Still no change. I did this twice.

I have used both the Windows troubleshooter and the Lexmark troubleshooter and neither have fixed any problems.

I am at a loss as to where to go from here. Anyone with any useful suggestions (beyond what I've tried)?

Reaction score
Fooling around some more, I was finally able to scan with my normal scanner software, using the WIA Lexmark 2600 selection rather than the Lexmark 2600 TWAIN setting (the TWAIN setting worked prior to the update). So the printer and the computer are talking.

I installed the latest updates. (3124200, 3119147)

Still can't print. Error is the same. See screen shots.

Lexmark Error.jpg

Device Manager
Device Manager.jpg

Device Properties
Device Properties.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few more shots, in hopes that someone will have a useful suggestion before I try rolling back the Windows Update that seems to have caused the problem.

Here's what my Print dialog looks like when I'm printing from Notepad
Device Ready to Print.jpg

And the other Printer Properties dialog
Printer Properties.jpg

And what the Lexmark troubleshooter program says when nothing else works
Lexmark Progs Blocked.jpg

Reaction score
You have more updates coming soon. KB3116900 took version 1511 to build 10586.29 but the latest version is 10586.36. Wait for that and I think it will perhaps fix the problem. Type winver in the run box and see what version you have for sure.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First off, I'll offer my best wishes to you in hopes that you resolve your problem.
I just went through a similar issue after performing an in-place upgrade repair on a friends HP Laptop that was running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. The repair of the laptop went great and after catching up all the Windows Updates I was pretty proud of myself for a job well done.

Day two.... he calls, the laptop is working great, but..... my Lexmark 5600-6000 Series printer will not print, at which point I began cursing Lexmark, because I'd been down this road before.
Great printers when they work, but.... when they don't, resolving the problem is a nightmare.

Every image that you've included in your posts above, I just saw.... everyone, without exception. Even using the native Windows Fax and Scan utility produced a scan from the device without issue, so.....
Without further boring you with the sundry details of all the troubleshooting failures, I'll simply say that I was finally able to get the printer, its' driver and the associated software package from Lexmark working again, after....

Running the uninstall from the Lexmark software (not "the" solution, but part of the process).
Removed it from Devices and Printer and Device Manager (along with drivers when prompted)
Unplugged it from the USB port on the laptop.
Downloaded the latest full feature software package direct from Lexmark for his printer.
OK you say..... let's install this puppy and get on with our lives.
Not so fast, it ain't gonna work, don't even bother, been there tried that, no joy.
The above is important as part of the process but is not the solution.

The actual solution involved, me, going into the registry editor and manually deleting the Lexmark references.
I used this as a beginning guide.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/102966
Wherever I found Lexmark, I deleted it, but.....
I didn't stop there.
I went back to the top of the registry tree and highlighted (selected) "Computer" and then from the menu bar I selected "Edit" -> "Find" and then typed in the word Lexmark, and deleted everything it found.
I can tell you that there was a bunch of F3 (used to "find next") even after my previous efforts, and it seemed like they would never stop coming, but ultimately it did.

Not a process for the faint of heart, nor one I would recommend for the novice, but it worked.
After rebooting the computer (still with the printer unplugged from the USB laptop port), I performed my umpteenth install of the Lexmark Software Package (Productivity Suite I think it was called) and when I got to the page about how do you want to connect (his had USB and or Wireless option) I choose USB, connected the cable and all was right in Lexmark World.
He's happy, I'm happy and I hope never to see or hear from a Lexmark Printer owner ever again.

Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Reaction score
Trouble, thanks so much... at least I can print again! Here's what I did...

1. Uninstalled the Lexmark 2600 from add/remove programs
2. Deleted the Lexmark 2600 from Devices and Printers
2. Searched the registry and removed everything I could that had Lexmark on it. There were a few reg keys I couldn't remove
3. Rebooted the computer
4. Searched again
5. Rebooted computer
6. Plugged in the printer USB cable and let Windows have it's way. Note: I did NOT install the driver I had downloaded (I don't remember whether I actually installed it the first time). This driver install is a W8 sorta-supported named cj2600en64.exe

Here is what the Lex website says about W10 support for this printer:

Products with limited support

These products were developed before Lexmark had knowledge of the re-designed Windows 10 printing system, but will support basic printing features. Microsoft may choose, at its own discretion, to completely discontinue printing support for these products in future Windows 10 operating system updates.

Use existing Windows 8, 8.1 print driversfor the following inkjet models:

So now I can print from Notepad and Scan using the WIA interface. I will miss the TWAIN interface--the Lexmark software using that interface is the best scanner interface I have used (fewer clicks to just quickly scan basic docs)

Thanks, Trouble, for taking the time to splain what you did that worked for you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good work. Glad to hear that you're printing again.

Reaction score
Thank you both--Trouble and Sherry Sailor. I just upgraded to Windows 10 (I'm a serial late adopter) and had this problem occur. Thanks to this discussion, I can print again. I really appreciate it!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and glad to hear that you found something that was helpful.
The feedback is much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question