KB4568831 (OS Build 19041.423) Preview

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Anyone pulled the trigger on this one yet?

It's listed as an optional update.

Figure I might give it a go.

Reaction score
I have not and my WU is not offering, so it stays where it is. I get it anyway included with the next CU on update Tuesday.
Don't like previews anyway. That's like testing it and reporting to MS as the latest Guinea pig.
Heck NO !
at least not on my working system...

Reaction score
I don't think it's actually a preview, I've been getting it on my RTM Versions of 2004. The steps of getting 2004 was first Build 19041.388 then .421 then .423. Things are working good.

Reaction score
I did on the PC I have 2004 on last week. I had no issues installing it. There were supposed to be a lot of bug fixes.

Reaction score
Showing as optional on my 2004 install?. That said, I am running 19041.388 so are you guys running "Insider"?. :rolleyes:

1596870458112.png

Reaction score
Not me. It came through the updates and, I confirm , it was optional.

1596874222337.png

Reaction score
I have installed it and it was optional. What I don't understand is why MS do that?. :cool:

1596875765815.png

Reaction score
Maybe (?) Trying to help with the complaints about upating.? It is applying a large number of "Fixes" If you have a working OS, why download fixes for it.

Reaction score
I have installed it and it was optional. What I don't understand is why MS do that?. :cool:

It seems like that MS classifies the B-updates (non-security) as optional as of recently (since they renamed it 'preview'), just like they did with Windows 7 and Windows 8, hence the "preview" in the name.
However, it will be included in the next CU anyway, so I am not worried about it....

Reaction score
It seems like that MS classifies the B-updates (non-security) as optional
Hi Grizzly,

now that you mentioned security, I took a look at the list that Dave posted (linked above post #6) and found an entry that does deal with security.

"Improves Microsoft Defender ATP's ability to identify malicious code injection activities".

So now my question would be, why are security updates marked as optional?. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly,

now that you mentioned security, I took a look at the list that Dave posted (linked above post #6) and found an entry that does deal with security.

"Improves Microsoft Defender ATP's ability to identify malicious code injection activities".

So now my question would be, why are security updates marked as optional?. :rolleyes:
there are more:
  • Improves support for non-ASCII file paths for Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) Auto Incident Response (IR).
  • Addresses an issue that prevents some machines from automatically going into Sleep mode under certain circumstances because of Microsoft Defender ATP Auto IR.
  • Addresses an issue that prevents some machines from running Microsoft Defender ATP Threat & Vulnerability Management successfully.
  • Addresses an issue that prevents Microsoft Defender ATP from applying file exclusions in some cases, which leads to application compatibility issues.
  • Addresses an issue in Microsoft Defender ATP that prevents some machines from reporting the installed applications to Threat & Vulnerability Management.
  • Addresses an issue that causes automatic investigations to fail in Microsoft Defender ATP.
  • Improves Microsoft Defender ATP's ability to identify malicious code injection activities.

yet MS classifies this update still as non-security. I guess MS's definition of security is different from ours. o_O o_O

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope... not really, except to say that Microsoft's "definitions" of many things are often difficult to interpret and or understand.
The simple fact that this particular Cumulative Update included the word "Preview" and was presented (with the possible exception of davehc) was marked as "Optional" (outside the typical "Insider PREVIEW" rings) was a bit baffling and confusing.

Grizzly's post suggesting that it might, more likely, be broadly available on "Update Tuesday" was probably accurate, and....
This offering as a "Preview" was a means for them (using various telemetry metrics) to evaluate its' efficacy, assuming they could get enough of us (like me) to bite the bare hook.

Capture.PNG

The information that it either "addresses" or includes "improvements" specific to the "Defender" App
AND does not apply specifically to any particular "security threat" may explain why it is not labeled as a "Security Update".

There was also another Cumulative Update "Preview" around the same time, aimed at .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 KB4562899

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,

using my own quote, I do believe that it is important for Windows Defender to identify malicious code injection activities, and as such, the fix would be an improvement to WD's scanning abilities. So the question still remains as to why an update which includes security enhancements is optional?????. :eek:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So the question still remains as to why an update which includes security enhancements is optional?????.
Over the years I have been a
MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
MCSA (Microsoft Certified System Administrator)
MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer)

I have never been a
MCE (Microsoft Certified Explainer)

Even if that test had been available I likely could never have passed it.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,

I am not too worried, I installed the update and my device is running fine anyway. :)

Ask a Question