Lacie rugged crashing windows 10

Reaction score
Please help. Im becoming confused and disoriented. A full day and I'm running in circles.
I'll offer up short points then To try and explain as thoroughly as I can.
-I have windows installed on my mac book pro
- lacie rugged hard drive thunderbolt and USB
-2 partitions 1-formatted OS X extended the other formatted ExFat.
-when I'm in windows and plug in the hard drive via thunderbolt , windows firstly gives the ding sound to say a new drive has been attached then makes a buzzzzzzzzz noise then crashes.
- if I start the computer in windows , it behaves as if to load but then goes into a self repair mode.
-after a couple of attempts the screen reads " your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" then alerts me that it is gathering error information.
- it also suggests that I go to a web page windows.com/stopcode.
- it then repeats this restarting and self repair 3 times then offers me some options to restart or switch off
- it also says that if I talk to a support person tell them " cache manager"
- the worst is that now if I plug the hard drive back into the computer when I'm in Mac OS the exfat partition is no longer visible. Even in disk utility.
- if I try loading the hard drive into a second computer it tells me that I need to format the drive and will not let me access any information.
- I have been using lacie drives for a couple of years in this way and never had any trouble. I also have a Western digital drive formatted the same way and it is not behaving in this way.
- I summoned that it must have been a corrupted lacie drive perhaps damaged in some way.
- I plugged in another Lacie drive and unfortunately the same thing happened.
-for some reason it only seems to be presenting itself with the lacie drives.
-I cannot keep risking corrupting my files so do not want to try again.
-fortunately I have some recovery software as to not lose my files.
- when all is recovered I can reformat one of the lacie drives in a way that any one here could suggest as a test.
-lastly the only thing is before the first crash I copied to the exfat partition a DVD image file (.iso)that was 5.2gb. I'm not sure that is what caused all this but that was the last thing I did before my troubles began.
Please if you could assist I would sure appreciate it.
Tony

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie
I Have Windows 10 Home
Version 1703
I did all the updates and actually thought that resolved things for me.
I once again Used my Lacie drives and after backing up I reformatted a Lacie Rugged thunderbolt/usb drive .
2 partitions 1-formatted OS X extended the other formatted ExFat.
and all seemed to work . I was switching between OSX on the mac to Windows 10 also on the mac.and I slowly started adding files to the windows partition and seemed pretty good.
Then it happened again. Once again I was performing the same experiment with the Lacie drive and also on a western digital usb only drive and only the Lacie drive seemed to crash the PC side of things.
I find the only problem is when I am in Windows 10. it makes a noise almost like an electrical short ( imagine an extremely rapid clicking sound then speed that up again) that seems to come from the speakers . I know its not an electrical short , that just seems the best way to explain it.
It does not seem to effect the Mac OSX .
Do you think it may have something to do with the Thunderbolt and Windows.
I have been using Lacie thunderbolt drives in this way for more than a year without trouble though.
Again , thank you for reading and responding.
Tony

Reaction score
HI Tony,

I really don't know as the drivers for Windows may well be the problem, if the drive is working under MAC then I would say that that is most likely the cause but cannot be sure?. o_O

Ask a Question