SOLVED Laptop Win 10 slow at first, then ok.

Reaction score
When the PC first starts it is slow going then all the apps run ok. I checked START and it looks ok. Nothing heavy duty. Disk Space, Cach and Downloads look good too. Disk compress is not needed. Temp Inet files are small. I'm not all that knowing of what else to look at. I ran a PC Health Check, after 15 minutes saying it was collection data, it showed no activity, I shut it down,
So I wonder Is "PC Cleaner" worthwhile and trusted. Or maybe you have a suggestion or two?

Reaction score
If your PC is slow during startup but runs fine afterward, there are a few possible causes you can consider. First, check your startup programs by opening the Task Manager and disabling any unnecessary programs that launch at startup. This can help reduce the startup time. Additionally, ensure that your antivirus software is up to date and perform a full system scan to check for any malware that may be affecting performance. Updating drivers and software to the latest versions can also improve performance.

Regarding PC cleaner software, it's important to exercise caution. While some reputable PC cleaner tools can help remove junk files and optimize system performance, others may not deliver the promised results or even cause harm. It's recommended to research and select a trusted PC cleaner from reputable sources.

If you've already taken these steps and are still experiencing slow startup, you may want to consider consulting with a professional technician who can provide personalized assistance based on your specific system configuration. They can help diagnose and resolve any underlying issues causing the slow startup.

Reaction score
I take it you don't have a solid state hard drive. For clean up, you can use the built-in disk clean up, or Ccleaner which is also free and safe. You can also download crystal disk info for free to check your hard drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When the PC first starts it is slow going then all the apps run ok. I checked START and it looks ok. Nothing heavy duty. Disk Space, Cach and Downloads look good too. Disk compress is not needed. Temp Inet files are small. I'm not all that knowing of what else to look at. I ran a PC Health Check, after 15 minutes saying it was collection data, it showed no activity, I shut it down,
So I wonder Is "PC Cleaner" worthwhile and trusted. Or maybe you have a suggestion or two?
Most likely your system is checking for, and downloading updates. Also may have a virus scan running.

I recently worked on a computer that was taking approx. 20 minutes from turning on to usable. Usable meaning a reasonable response time when entering a command, a few seconds at most. The main culprit was a purchased anti-virus that was running 4 to 6 different apps at once, totally overwhelming the CPU. Removing the purchased AV and activating Defender improved boot time to a few seconds when the system was not downloading updates.

Reaction score
Tip for slow computers. Turn it on 15-30 minutes before you need to use it. This allows it to install security updates and do virus scans which can slow the computer down. After it’s finished this, it will be notably faster.

Having said that, you should be aware that any anti-malware product will slow your computer down when it is actively doing a scan. And if you have not turned on the computer for a few days, the first thing it will want to do is run a scan. This is why a slower computer will exhibit poor performance when first started after a few days. (The same applies for Windows Updates.)

Consider upgrading to an SSD drive. This can dramatically speed up the system, especially startup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Most likely your system is checking for, and downloading updates. Also may have a virus scan running.

I recently worked on a computer that was taking approx. 20 minutes from turning on to usable. Usable meaning a reasonable response time when entering a command, a few seconds at most. The main culprit was a purchased anti-virus that was running 4 to 6 different apps at once, totally overwhelming the CPU. Removing the purchased AV and activating Defender improved boot time to a few seconds when the system was not downloading updates.
I use the Avast and boot in 25 seconds to stable, but when I had AVG, years ago, it took forever. I picked up a laptop years ago that someone had recycled, and left the HDD as is. Guess he thought a password would keep it safe, it was Windows XP. It took 30 min to boot, and I kept seeing another program pop up on the taskbar. I looked through and found his wedding pictures, finances and so on and the real kicker. He was a computer consultant. I smashed the drive instead of doing a DOD wipe, due to his finances on it.

Reaction score
Malwarebytes was running which was part of it. I deleted the temp internet files. Did disk defrag. It gets going a bit faster. I am going to be happy with that before I screw something up!

Ask a Question