Laughing

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A $400 Billion dollar Oops :oops:

OK.... I didn't actually laugh out loud, but....
This article certainly did leave me shaking my head :rolleyes:

AND this is just kicking a dead horse.....

This isn’t the first time Gates has reflected on Microsoft’s mobile struggles. Earlier this year, Gates called losing to Android his “greatest mistake ever,” admitting that the loss was worth $400 billion.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Interesting articles there Trouble.

Personally, I'll be sticking to my Desktop — sorry Bill Gates, make that $400 billion + whatever the cost of your new toy is.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What I find most hilarious is that, those of we few faithful Windows 10 Phone users have long heard about this phenomenal phone coming out of Microsoft's "Surface" hardware line.
AND
Now we're apparently getting it
BUT
With an Android OS

Evidently, as we're reminded everyday, a sense of humor is vital when dealing with all things Microsoft.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Now we're apparently getting it
BUT
With an Android OS

I have not used my Windows phone in ages, but I guess I could dust the cobwebs off.

If I wanted an Android phone, I'd have bought a cheaper device in the first place.

I note the articles mention all those hundreds of apps everyone wants / needs. Personally, I've only ever used 5 apps max! The other apps available, to me are a distraction and serve me no purpose at all.

What all this boils down to, in my view, is do you want a phone, that you can access the internet with when needed, or are you wanting to walking around with a computer, than can be used as a phone when needed. I choose phone first, all other apps very much secondary.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
100 percent agree.
That's why I'm still hanging in there with my Windows 10 Phone.
It's got good hardware RAM and CPU, a perfectly acceptable camera (front and back) and the physical phone and messaging functions work flawlessly.
AND
When I want to really geek out it has Continuum so I can interface with my TV for a big screen experience and my combo Bluetooth keyboard and touchpad.
BUT
Mostly I just use it as a phone.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
With the new Chromium Edge coming.....I have a gut feeling and this is just my personal opinion.....then some where in the not so far off future that Google and MS will merge and will have some sort of Universal Hybrid OS. When that happens.....then there will be one left standing......APPLE! Which I glad I made the move from android to iphone.

Reaction score
I note the articles mention all those hundreds of apps everyone wants / needs. Personally, I've only ever used 5 apps max! The other apps available, to me are a distraction and serve me no purpose at all.
What all this boils down to, in my view, is do you want a phone, that you can access the internet with when needed, or are you wanting to walking around with a computer, than can be used as a phone when needed. I choose phone first, all other apps very much secondary.
Precisely. I have no grudge with either mobiles. I have "access" to the use of a Windows phone - an interesting change, now and again, but, maybe because of my age (?), I really only want a phone when I leave the house - not a miniature Computer. You know, something where you get a call, press the only button sticking out, and start talking. When you are finished, you press the same button - done.

Just wanted to add here. I do have, in the bottom drawer, an original Blaupunkt Mobile. A button keyboard and no display. Sooo easy to use. The problem is my darned family and friends insist on sending me SMSs and the like...........

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
For you windows phone users......

As of December 10, 2019, Windows 10 Mobile users are no longer eligible to receive new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft for free. Third parties or paid support programs may provide ongoing support, but it is important to recognize that Microsoft support will not publicly provide updates or patches for Windows 10 Mobile.
Only device models that are eligible for Windows 10 Mobile, version 1709 are supported through the end date. For Lumia 640 and 640 XL phone models, Window 10 Mobile version 1703 was the last supported OS version and will reach end of support on June 11th, 2019. Please see the Windows 10 Mobile availability per device model for more information.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like I'm good to go for another month and a half. :eek:

wp_ss_20191110_0001.png

Although when your Windows 10 Device is still running 15254.590, you probably should have seen the proverbial writing on the wall before now.

Reaction score
My support for an 820 Win8.1 ran out long ago. I will not be buying from MS again. If I'm going to use Android, I'll pick from someone else. Chances are they will be cheaper anyway.