Lost network after 1803 update

Reaction score
OK, so we're talking about your LAN (Local Area Network) and any broader issues with your network card and or internet connection can be left aside.

First make sure that you are actually sharing something ( a folder ) on each network node, then.....
On all the network computers, right click the start button and choose run and in the run dialog box type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK.
Scroll to "Function Discovery Resource Publication" and double click it.
Set the Startup Type to Automatic and then click the Start Button.

See if that helps with what you can and cannot see
God bless you, my child! Just discovered this problem, and headed up here to look for a fix. The first thing I had noticed was no Computers when I clicked on Network in Explorer, though there were two Media Devices by the same name. This little trick restored the computers...now all I have to do is fix the shares.

Reaction score
Try going to the Open action center, then All settings and then Network and Internet. On the status page which opens, go down the page to Network Reset in blue and left click it. Tell it you want to reset the network, wait a bit and it will tell you the machine needs to be restarted. Do a restart and your network should be functional once again. After the 1803 update this reset must be performed for the shares to function again.

Al
...never worked on my 2 PCs

Reaction score
OK, so we're talking about your LAN (Local Area Network) and any broader issues with your network card and or internet connection can be left aside.

First make sure that you are actually sharing something ( a folder ) on each network node, then.....
On all the network computers, right click the start button and choose run and in the run dialog box type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK.
Scroll to "Function Discovery Resource Publication" and double click it.
Set the Startup Type to Automatic and then click the Start Button.

See if that helps with what you can and cannot see
...this too did NOT work for my 2 PCs at home...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you actually went through the process of sharing a folder on all PCs involved??

Reaction score
Have you actually went through the process of sharing a folder on all PCs involved??
...absolutely; 1st: they were communicating "before" w/o trouble; 2nd: I have tried 'ALL' of the many suggestions, renamed the network to myNAME, signed out-and-in to make it stick; automatic activation etc etc -- right now I cannot even 'see' any of the other PC.
I erased those 'media-network' files - they gave me NO access either and I did not want to share just media.

Could it be that MS is trying to force me to both PC owners have an MS / outlook / live account?! that would make sense in that MS too is trying to hook up real user data (phone etc ++) to the respective hardware+win10 constellation.
Honest? I cannot believe that not more people have (had) that very same problem; I mean, update took over closing my delicate open files NO MATTER WHAT - but should never touch what had worked before!!
Thanks to all involved an helping; a great weekend to y'all :)

Ask a Question