MS Denies Forcing Win 10 Upgrade

Reaction score
Allan, it isn't hopeless (Bad, but not hopeless). You can download free word processors off the web that can handle Office documents.

Reaction score
To Allen10, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying but, I have heard zero about any rentals, I do know that after W10 any upgrades we will order at a price, still to be determined and only if we want it, then it will come to our PC's the same as W10 download came. As far as any other software especially MS Office which comes on a trial basis, I get rid of all of those and download a very good FREE Office, which I have been using on all my OS's. And since I am a writer, I need this. All other software and I have many, such as photo editing etc. I get FREE or no deal! If you are referring to the Norton AV software.. OMG I get rid of that first thing and stay far away from it.

Reaction score
Speaking of MS Office I have Ms Office 2010 and love it. But today a strange thing happened and it was most likely MS induced I couldn't open any Word .docx and there was no app to associate with. I was forced to go to the MS store and download a free app for viewing editing word. Al has been working fine since the upgrade until today.
Wait 5 minutes I'm sure MS will have more tricks to present and aggravate us.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have some aluminum foil for sale for anyone else wanting to start a conspiracy theory who needs a shiny new hat. :rolleyes:

Join the clan now before the sun implodes and we all die

830988_f520.jpg

Edit: For $1500 USD you can buy some Google Glasses to improve the quality of this image. Or, you could start a new conspiracy that Microsoft sabotaged your display drivers in preparation for renting you each individual driver in your System32 folder. :D

Alternatively, you could just assume the user uploaded a blurred image. But do not let rational thought ruin a perfectly good story.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There sure are a lot of people hallucinating that MS is forcing them to upgrade to Windows 10. On a lot of forums, too. Even in Mexico we have them.

Reaction score
I've tried upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 twice now. I had to revert back to Windows 7 because of the problems that I couldn't fix in 10. Most likely, because I've seen the same problems mentioned here, MS is working to fix the problems. I'd just as soon use the freebie update but not if I gain problems. Even if I need to pay for the upgrade, I feel I need to wait until all the bugs are out of 10 before upgrading again. I assume that at one point we won't be able to go back to 7 and that would be a very bad thing for me if I again had trouble with 10.

I don't feel that MS is forcing me to upgrade but I sure wish they'd de-bug the OP so I can use it....

Reaction score
I don't feel that MS is forcing me to upgrade but I sure wish they'd de-bug the OP so I can use it....
Have you tried a clean install to make sure it wasn't the upgrade causing the issues? Ohh and since you have already upgraded your machine has already been registered and there will be no need in paying for the upgrade later.

Reaction score
Have you tried a clean install to make sure it wasn't the upgrade causing the issues? Ohh and since you have already upgraded your machine has already been registered and there will be no need in paying for the upgrade later.

Really! Well, shoot. I can wait until the bugs are worked out and upgrade some time in the future.

I'd rather not do a clean install if I can get away with out doing so. There's far too many programs and hardware I'd need to install from scratch and I'd just as soon avoid that.

Reaction score
Sage, I have to admit my surprise. Usually, the worst problems we see are with Windows 7 laptops. I upgraded three Win 8 laptops to 8.1 and then to 10 with no problems. I upgraded my Windows 7 desktop, which is much less powerful than yours, to Windows 10 with a few minor issues that I quickly solved.

I'm sorry that you had these problems. A possible explanation is that one of your more advanced programs had a major clash with Win 7.

Reaction score
I'll try upgrading again next month. Hopefully, the problem with the constant refreshing and the loss of the right click information function will be somehow fixed. If something else is wrong, I'll probably give up and use Windows 7 until it is no longer serviced. I don't see a huge advantage of using Windows 10 for a desktop anyway. It seems to be a program designed more for mobile computers and I most likely will never jump on that bandwagon.

The problem is, I use my desktop computer for freelance income so when it isn't functioning properly, I have a big problem and can't afford to mess around dealing with a buggy operating system.

Oh, well.. hopefully the third time is the charm.

Reaction score
Sage next time before you upgrade get rid of (uninstall) any existing software, that may cause a failure or create a glitch, I upgraded my 3/ W8.1's and 1/ W7 laptops & desktops, back starting on July 29th. 2015 and have had not one problem. Since then I have chatted with many who have had problems due to leaving software on such as anti virus software and or registry fixes, malware scanners etc. the only ones that should be left on are W Defender and Security essentials. all others can be installed back later. Be sure to have W10 save your files when asked.

Reaction score
Aputernut, I was wondering about that. I also have three external hard drives for keeping artwork and photo files, I wonder if it would be a good idea to disconnect those before performing the upgrade? Perhaps the external hard drives are causing something weird during the upgrade?

I always keep a mirror backup on one or two of the external hard drives before I perform an upgrade. I suppose I could delete the malware and virus detector programs before upgrading and then reinstall them after the fact as you suggest... it wouldn't hurt and may be causing the problems.

Reaction score
Sage Always disconnect any external devices before upgrading, with the exception of mouse. Don't forget to create a Restore Point create a disk image before the upgrade.
PS make sure your current OS has all of the recent updates installed.
Good Luck!

Reaction score
Does that include the scanner and the printers? The updates for Windows 7 are current.

Reaction score
Does the scanner and printer manufacturer say that the devices work with W10? I know that some older HP scanners don't. Are they on WiFi,USB or E'net?

Reaction score
The Epson Scanner (USB), the Epson printer(USB) and the HP wireless printer worked fine on my last attempt. One of my external drives didn't function on my first failed attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 but they all worked fine on my last attempt to upgrade.

I really thought it was going to work fine until I noticed the shortcut icons flashing from time to time because the screen kept refreshing. Then I found the right click function to access menus and functions was no longer working.... there may be been additional problems that I didn't come across before I gave up after trying to fix the problems and reverted back to Windows 7.

Reaction score
Does that include the scanner and the printers? The updates for Windows 7 are current.

Yes I would disconnect all external devices. I have a HP LaserJet USB / Wifi capable. The printer wouldn't operate correctly (print) because I had set update options to metered as I was running low on my monthly data plan. Win10 upgrades and updates consume huge amounts of data.

Ask a Question