Multiple Accounts

Reaction score
How can I setup Windows 10 so that I have a main Admin Account and a user account that has Admin rights, but the user cannot change the main Admin account password.

Reaction score
There's 2 Administrator settings, one is usually the first setup with Windows and the other is a Hidden account that can do more but is not activated unless needed temporarily, quite dangerous if left active. Any account that is set up with Administrative Rights can do what any other account with the same rights can do. Only way I've seen to do what you desire is having the Pro or Enterprise version installed and use Group Policy Editor to limit what users can do but a problem may exist in having to activate that Hidden account to do it then deactivate immediately afterward.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I am using the Pro version, so how should I go about using the Group Policy Editor to prevent the main Admin password being changed, or is this just not possible if the user has admin rights.

Reaction score
I've not had to do it but I think there's a setting about not requiring the periodic password change that may have more. That memory is lingering from having worked with WindowsNT from 3.51 through WinNT 4 to WinNT 2000. WinXP was the first to have both Home [consumer] and Professional editions.

Reaction score
In the event that you're hoping to make your primary account standard, it's ideal to make a new administrator account first, and afterward, utilize the new account to change your old account to standard and roll out administrative improvements.
To change the account type with Settings, use these steps:

• Open Settings.
  • Click on Accounts.
  • Click on Family & other users.
  • Under the "Your family" or "Other users" section, select the user account.
  • Click the Change account type button.
  • Select the Administrator or Standard User account type.
  • Click the OK button.

Once you complete the steps, restart your computer to start using the account with the new privilege level.

Reaction score
This thread was nearly a year old, don't know if the OP is still around.

Ask a Question