SOLVED How to un-link multiple emails

Reaction score
When I moved from my old computer with Windows 7 to my new computer with Windows 10 I had problems moving my three emails from my old to my new computer (mostly because I am computer illiterate) and finally I was able to do it by linking my three emails together. Now that I am settled in with my new computer I want to separate the three emails again. Two of them are Yahoo and the third one is Roadrunner. How do I do that?

Many thanks.

Jim.

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

what app are you using and do you have all the different accounts set up in the same app?. When you say 3 emails, I assume you do indeed mean the accounts?. :)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie-

Don't quite understand what you mean by what app I have my emails in. When I first bought a computer years ago and wanted an email address I just went to Yahoo and signed up for it. Some years later, for whatever reasons that I can't remember now, I went to Yahoo again and got a second email address. And some years after that a friend recommended that I try out Roadrunner, which I did, and that is now my third email address. I assume that each one of these would be an "account"? As I mentioned in my original post, I am really a computer illiterate but I got by for years because I had a good friend who would help me out and set things up for me. He is now suffering from dementia so now I am on my own, a really bad time to move to a new computer AND to Windows 10. Please bear with me....

Reaction score
Hi Jim.
Most users have an Email program on their computer desktops. In Windows 10, there is a built in one, called simply "Mail"
This is the info Wolfie , and other members, are seeking from you. Are you using such a program (Now called an App)?
If not, could you detail how you have "joined" your three accounts.

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

what Dave said plus, if you are using an Email app, do you have all 3 accounts set up in it?. I use the app "Thunderbird" myself and can use multiple accounts with it. :)

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

what Dave said plus, if you are using an Email app, do you have all 3 accounts set up in it?. I use the app "Thunderbird" myself and can use multiple accounts with it. :)

Hi Jim,

Hi Jim,

My two Yahoo emails are in Mozilla Firefox and my Roadrunner email is in Mozilla Thunderbird. When they were set up I don't recall that any "app" was involved, perhaps back then it wasn't done that way. To open my mail I would just click on the Firefox or the Thunderbird icon, and they would open. Personally, I have never set up, bought or installed an app myself, or even gone to the app store. Never had any need to, and didn't know how to do it anyway. All I know is that the three emails used to be separate entities when I had Windows 7 and now they are all tied together. Windows 10 did it, and I don't know what it did or how it did it; I just know that I want to get them separated again.

Seems like I heard recently that Roadrunner was no longer part of Mozilla. If that is true I don't know how that affects me, if at all; I am still getting all my Roadrunner emails.

Since I could access my two Yahoo emails by clicking on the single Firefox icon, I assume that means they are both in the same "app"? Or whatever it was that preceded apps? The Roadrunner email of course is completely different.

If I can think of anything thing else I will add it.

Many thanks.

Jim.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Assuming you are using a browser to access your Yahoo account(s).
I would expect there to be something within your Profile -> Settings to "manage mailboxes"
I would think that there or somewhere like it you will find the means to "unlink".

It's been a long time since I've had to help anyone with this issue but I remember several instances where friends had Yahoo Mail via their SBCglobal.net provider or an ATT account, I think it is important to know which account is actually "primary"
AND
They were frequently a pain in the rear to get configured and or otherwise edit their settings, some times made more difficult when accounts are not actually linked but are joined together as an "alias" account.

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

if you open Thunderbird > Tools > Account settings, you can delete them from there and just use your web browser to log in to the accounts as and when you wish!. Just click on "Remove"!. :)

1601705955783.png

Reaction score
Today I went to the "settings" icon, to "manage accounts", as I have done many times before; there is no "unlink" option offered, only "add account" and "link". But from there I kept poking at anything that looked hopeful and viola! Out of nowhere the word "unlink". And it worked, I now have three separate emails. To illustrate why this is important, I just found out yesterday that I had not been getting any of my Roadrunner emails for the past three weeks but never noticed it because when they are all linked they all look the same, they don't identify themselves as being Roadrunner or Yahoo or whatever.

Many thanks to Wolfie and Dave and Trouble for taking the time to help me out. I'm sure I'll be back in the near future with some other issue with the Infamous Windows 10!

Jim.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
But from there I kept poking at anything that looked hopeful and viola!
Glad you managed to stumble on the resolution.
All's well that ends well.
Thanks for the followup
Much appreciated.
Please mark your thread as solved when you have the opportunity.

Ask a Question