SOLVED Open a link in a new window in Edge

Reaction score
Is there a way to open a link in a new window in Edge in one step, while keeping previous tabs. For example, in Chrome I can middle click and the link opens and the previous window shows in the tabs. In Edge I have to go to the tab and click on it to open the new window.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In the new chromium based version of Edge you just right click the link and choose it from the context menu.
I can't remember if Legacy Edge was the same.

Reaction score
In the new chromium based version of Edge you just right click the link and choose it from the context menu.
I can't remember if Legacy Edge was the same.
Yes. But the problem is that when you do that the previous tab closes. I want the link to open in a new window but keep the other tabs visible without additional steps.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope, nothing that is open, closes.
It's likely just hidden behind the new window (instance of Edge) that you have opened.
You can just grab the "new window" that you opened by the title bar, drag it down a few inches and expose the already open "old window" behind it.

Reaction score
Nope, nothing that is open, closes.
It's likely just hidden behind the new window (instance of Edge) that you have opened.
You can just grab the "new window" that you opened by the title bar, drag it down a few inches and expose the already open "old window" behind it.
Nope, that does not work. Are you left clicking or center clicking to open the new page?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you managed to resolve your issue.
As I generally use cheap generic mice without an accompanying robust software suite for any elaborate configuration, mine is generally just set to left click, right click without a "center click". IF I depress (click) the center scroll wheel it just locks scrolling so as it reacts to mouse movements.

Reaction score
Actually it does not solve what I would like to do which is to simply center click on a link and have it open in a new window while leaving tabs for previous windows visible in the bar. This is accomplished in Chrome using the Tabs to Front extension. Microsoft does not seem to have anything likes this right now. Maybe eventually. I would prefer to use Edge because it seems to be faster than Chrome. Thank you for trying to help. :)

Reaction score
I have to agree with Trouble about the standard mouse button actions. As I recall, years ago the introduction of the center button/click of a mouse was to accommodate needs of CAD/Computer Assisted Design programs.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have to ask....
What happens when you right click (use your right mouse button) on a link??
AND
Perhaps if you could advise as to which mouse you are using Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number, maybe there may be a member or a guest who could share some specifics from their experience with the same or similar product.

I know there are many elaborate mice that feature multiple buttons and various programmable features and functions.
I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Reaction score
Right click gives you a context menu. You can select "Open in New Window" which does the same thing as if you use Shift-center click. My mouse is a standard Dell optical that came with my PC.

Reaction score
Interesting feed. I have this problem when selecting (right click open in new window) from favourites list in Edge. Any other link works no problem just the favourites fails......any ideas?? I've tried on multiple machines with same result. Edge Up to Date and Windows 10 updates run.

Reaction score
Is there a way to open a link in a new window in Edge in one step, while keeping previous tabs. For example, in Chrome I can middle click and the link opens and the previous window shows in the tabs. In Edge I have to go to the tab and click on it to open the new window.
CTRL-SHIFT-CLICK

Reaction score
Old thread but, apparently, still a problem.

I have the edge shortcut on my taskbar. All I do is right click and seelct another instance of Edge... You can do this as many times as you like.

1644836908943.png

Ask a Question