Lost Links?

Reaction score
Win10 is losing links to my programs. This may not be the most accurate way to describe the problem, but it is the most accurate way to describe what I'm encountering. Here's the scenario:
Click a program to start it. Little circle spins for a second then nothing happens.
Go the complete menu in the windows key. Click the program. Little circle spins for a second, then nothing else happens.
Go to the program using file explorer, find the ".exe" file and click. The program usually runs.*
I've checked the links and all appear to reference the proper ".exe" file.
*There are a couple of programs I use regularly that won't even run when I click on them in the program directory. The only way I can use the program is to reinstall it and sometimes that won't work because, apparently, a fragment of the program does load; enough for the installer to think the program is running. The option then is to open the task manager, find the fragment, and terminate it. That's a lot of effort for a program I use several times a week.
This happens with MS Apps and installed programs.
What is going on?

Reaction score
Hi Daver,

firstly, have you run your preferred Anti Virus app at all lately?. Second, what version of Win are you running?.

Third, try "Advanced Startup Options" and run the troubleshooter!.

Reaction score
AVG constantly monitors incoming; seep scan scheduled every 5 days.
Win10Pro Ver: 2004 build 19041.421
Exp. pak 120.2212.31.0
I'll check out the article.
Thanks

Reaction score
Please try these options one by one and check after each option.

1. Reinstall Start Menu
Windows Key+X > Click Powershell (Admin) > Copy the below and paste into Powershell > Enter > Reboot your computer

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

2. CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager
Locate Windows Explorer in Processes tab and kill it
Now at the top File > Run new task > Put explorer.exe and Enter

Ask a Question