New, Old News

Reaction score
First... congrats on a nice birthday present. Second I believe that there is still some issues regarding Surface 3s and Windows 10 Insider Preview although I am not sure that the "Pro" version is included in those problems.
I think I would wait at least until the next public preview drops, which hopefully will be early this week maybe Monday or Tuesday. Or enjoy it for another 38 days until the GA drops on July 29th.

Trouble, I was going to wait until the release date for the Surf pro3. Not interested in any preview build. I was wondering if there's a way to go back to 8.1 if the upgrade goes poorly. These sealed tablets are a whole different deal than I'm used to. There is a recovery partition that may or may not be affected by 10.

pro.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suspect that, should an upgrade go bad that you will still have the factory reset option to reset it to factory condition.
Take a look here http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...recovery/restore-refresh-or-reset-surface-pro
It's a pretty comprehensive article on what your potential options might be.
You need to understand that all your data and installed programs will be lost, so......
External media is your friend. A good sized SD Card and an equally good sized USB Thumb drive for backups.
I just went through this with my son and his surface pro. It was a pain going through DOS commands over the phone to write his profile folder to a 64 Gig SD Card to save some Excel spreadsheets that he hadn't backed up but we managed to get it done. His drive filled up and it wouldn't boot so all we had to work from was the Recovery Environment and a Command Prompt.

Reaction score
I suspect that, should an upgrade go bad that you will still have the factory reset option to reset it to factory condition.
Take a look here http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...recovery/restore-refresh-or-reset-surface-pro
It's a pretty comprehensive article on what your potential options might be.
You need to understand that all your data and installed programs will be lost, so......
External media is your friend. A good sized SD Card and an equally good sized USB Thumb drive for backups.
I just went through this with my son and his surface pro. It was a pain going through DOS commands over the phone to write his profile folder to a 64 Gig SD Card to save some Excel spreadsheets that he hadn't backed up but we managed to get it done. His drive filled up and it wouldn't boot so all we had to work from was the Recovery Environment and a Command Prompt.

Thanks for your input and the link.
I've been looking at 128GB microSD cards but would like to see the prices come down a little more. 64's are pricing well these days.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The bigger the better I always say, but don't let that dictate whether you have a backup or not.
Generally speaking with something like Acronis you should be able to backup that drive (looks like a 128 GB SSD) onto a 64 gig external drive figuring 2 to 1 compression. Unless of course it is completely full of uncompressible files like mp3s and jpgs which can often be the case.
Always nice to have a full system image just in case.
As an aside.... are you completely comfortable with "bitlocker" and know all the in's and out's of backing up and keeping save the encryption certificate.. I've seen a lot of unintended consequences from using encryption without being completely skilled in disaster recovery of encrypted volumes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This machine won't be travelling much. Bitlocker was factory installed and I'd just as soon get rid of it. I guess I have some googling to do.

Sorry for taking this thread off track and again, thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OH well.... worth a try.
Perhaps it's another driver. Are you seeing anything in the event viewer when the Blue Screens occur?
Any third party software, especially security suites that might be involved?

Reaction score
There's 1253 errors, warnings and criticals in the event viewer. I don't often look in there. So far as I know my ESET NOD32 antivirus hasn't caused any issues.

Reaction score
Try this. Run this in an elevated command prompt. It will totally clean out the event viwer. Then restart and see what warning you have after.

for /F "tokens=*" %1 in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%1"

Reaction score
I really don't know what I'm looking for or how to interpret what shows up in Event Viewer but here is a picture of the warnings after cleaning the viewer and rebooting. Is there an easy way to get to the Event Viewer? I've been opening the control panel and using the search box to find it.

events.jpg

Reaction score
There is probably another way, but, I use the old method. open "Run" - Type msconfig - Tools tab. It is down the list.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
just
eventvwr
in the run dialog box or command line should do it.

Reaction score
Last week I got a Surface Pro 3 for my birthday and am considering the move to 10. This is the first time I've actually used 8.1 on a touch screen and after a week, am starting to get used to it. Still need figure a few things out but being unable to resize apps sucks and 10 will allow that.
Will I be able to revert back to an 8.1 image if I need to or will the license be borked forever?
I think would wait for release product. At least the license data should be solid.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In keeping with the original title / theme of this thread, some more news that is actually not new news.
Microsoft Corp. is getting ready to release its Windows 10 operating system to customers on July 29 but it won’t be available pre-installed on computers that day as has been the practice with previous Windows releases.
I'm not sure anyone expected Windows 10 devices to actually magically appear on the shelves of their local big box stores on July 29th.
“You will see computers running with Windows 10 installed very soon after the 29th and then in the fall a whole new class of machines for the holidays,” he said.
There's that word again "soon", this time prefixed by the adverb "very". Not sure what that actually means in Microsoft speak.
SOURCE: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...be-pre-installed-on-pcs-on-first-day-ic1uyg1s

Still, with only16 days or so remaining (but who's counting), things should continue to be interesting.

Reaction score
I think the news from a week or so ago was that Microsoft would be releasing a final build to the OEMs last Friday so they would be ready with new machines on the 29th. Looks like Microsoft might have been better served by just stating that Windows 10 would be released when it is ready. Now if they can't get it together by the 29th they will be dealing with a lot of irate people. A lot of buggy video games have been released due to a commitment date when game wasn't really ready for release. Hope Microsoft doesn't spring a buggy OS on us come the 29th.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hope Microsoft doesn't spring a buggy OS on us come the 29th.
"Us" being the operative word. It looks and sounds to me like on the 29th, "us" (we windows insiders) will be the only people actually likely to receive Windows 10 early.
OEM / Microsoft Partners (Dell, HP and the like) not withstanding. Hopefully they'll have something in hand by then as well.

Ask a Question