SOLVED No Password.

Reaction score
Hello Windows 10 forums.

My Wife's girlfriend bought a computer at an estate sale without getting the password to login.

She can't tell me anything about the computer other than it's an Asus tower with a Dell monitor with all of the boxes and manuals and some discs and appears to be a complete system except no password.

I offered to lend a hand so what are the options short of complete installation of the Windows 10 OS.

I'm thinking perhaps I can do a full recovery but I'm also thinking that may require a password but I don't know.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Legitimate forums don't usually offer methods of bypassing security features. If you have the discs that came with the computer just do a clean install, will also assure no embarrassing things from the previous owner remain on it. If it had Win10 or Win8 I'd use the MCT/Media Creation Tool to download the .iso file used to create the Bootable DVD on another computer or create the Bootable USB Thumb drive.

Reaction score
Yeah I only thought of that after I created the thread. :oops:

I fully understand and that makes sense since you cannot verify 100% if I'm, they or whoever is the actual owner of said computer. :cool:

As I mentioned I haven't physically looked at the system to know exactly what is there or what the exact problem is.

Alright Bighorn I appreciate the reply and will see what I find out when I'm actually sitting in front of the computer.

Thanks again and have a great day.

poorguy :)

Reaction score
Update.

Well I just decided to create a bootable Windows 10 usb using the creation tool which by the way worked flawlessly.

Popped in the usb I created and power on the computer and held the delete key down to open the the bios and set the usb to 1st boot device saved my settings and pressed enter and off it went done deal clean raw install zero problems. :)

Installed updates and additional needed software went through the settings and setup the important ones and several hours later all is well and everyone is happy.

The rest of the day with the Wife and Wife's girlfriend at the local pub where we ate and had a few drinks and all is well. :)

Reaction score
Just curious. What activation was applied? I was imagining the old OS had already been registered with the motherboard. I guess that makes it yours officially, as you now own the computer.
Still a little mysterious MS things involved. Yours is an interesting example. Is that registration only connected with the computer, regardless of the logged in owner??

Reaction score
Yes the digital license is register to the computer.
As for any activation process I had to do was zero.

When I checked in settings I forget exactly where it showed my Windows 10 to be activated.
I installed Windows 10 home on the computer as that is what the tag on the original box showed.

This is an ASUS desktop computer with no frills with an AMD A10 processor and 8.0GB of memory.
It seems to be a decent little desktop.

Reaction score
So, presumably, if someone steals a computer, they steel the activation code along with it!

Ask a Question