Can't access a computer on a home network from another computer on the same network- asks for a password, but no password was set

Reaction score
I have two computers on a home network. I have gone through the process of setting permissions so that I can share files between these two computers. I can access computer A from computer B, but I can't access computer B from computer A. Computer B requires a password even though I have not set a password on that computer.

Reaction score
If you have the same user account on both computers you can change your shares to Authorized users, also change the security setting credential to use the same user account by selecting Authorized Users.

Reaction score
When sharing files/folders between PCs, first you need to ensure that the PCs can "see" each other (re Clintigm's post). You evidently have that already done. The second thing is whether the holder of the resource (computer B in your case) requires a password from the accessing PC (computer A). Here's how to bypass the password prompt.

On the computer on which the sharable resource resides (computer B in your case), turn OFF the password-is-required setting:
1. Go to Settings -> Network & Internet
2. Under "Advanced Network Settings", click "Network and Sharing Center"
3. On the left side of the screen, click "Change advanced sharing settings"
4. The window labeled "Change sharing options for different network profiles" is displayed. At the bottom of the menu, expand the item labeled "All Networks" (click the down-arrow)
5. Click "Turn off password protected sharing"
6. Click "Save Changes"

Note: occasionally a Windows update will reset this setting so that passwords are required again. If that happens, just redo the above procedure.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
I think it will be work because I have tried this one in my system and it is working fine.

Thanks for this reply!! Its worked.

Ask a Question