Outlook 2016 rearranging Imap folders

Reaction score
Hi I have Office 2016 running on a PC and laptop on Windows 10.
My issue is is trying to rearrange the imap personal folders order.
I can click on a folder and drag it to a new location or right click on it and select move up or down.
The folder then appears in its new location until you shut down Outlook and restart it.
Folder then reverts to its original position.
Was initially trying to move the Outbox so that it was next to Sent box but issue happens with any of the folders i have created myself.
Did a search and only points raised were making sure the A-Z sort was not selected in Folder options but it is not.
Not sure if its a bug in 2016 or if its related to fact its an imap account.
May consider upgrading to Office 2019 but not sure if same issue will be with that as well.
Appreciate any advice you can give.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Answer i got from MS.
Assume its the only way forward.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing your concern in the Community. I hope you're having a great day. Let's sort this out.

I've tried to replicate your concern on my end, and here's what I've found out:

• It seems that Outlook is working as expected. I'm using an IMAP account in Outlook, tried the same steps you've performed, after rearranging the folders and closing outlook, all folders returned to its original position.

One way to determine, if the server settings is causing the issue is to try rearranging the folders from your email server itself. To do this, access your email account through a web browser.

As a workaround, I would suggest that you add your folder to the Favorites Pane, then re-arrange the Favorites pane. I tested it on my end, and after closing Outlook, everything stayed as to how I've arranged it. To add your folder in the Favorites Pane, right-click on the folder, then select Show in Favorites.

Should you need further assistance, simply post back on this.

Ask a Question