SOLVED Right click on start button not working

Reaction score
Well, now really annoyed.

Spent the last 4 days having on-line chat with MS support.

They tried the stuff I tried, still no joy.

Then they started to download the ISO for Win 10, and because of the time let know know to choose the option of keeping my files and settings when I ran it.

This ended up with not only the start still not working but on reboot came up with the error message

Your PC needs to be repaired
The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

So again onto MS support who then used my Windows tablet to download and burn a USB flash drive to use on the PC.

Unfortunately my PC just would not boot sing the USB, just hung on verifying pool data.

So then I burnt a DVD using the ISO and got back to MS support telling them the latest status.

So, booted up the PC using the DVD, told to choose keep settings.

Sat back and waited, still didn't boot up, so I asked whether to choose a totally clean install using the DVD and the MS guy said this would get rid of my licence key and I'd have to guy Win 10 at over $200.

He went on to say that "I" should have used a command line in Powershell to get my key and write it down before trying to reload the ISO.

So he left me with a choice of trying to get the USB working, or to choose clean install at MY risk of having to buy another licence.

He then went to check to see if my "live" account was linked to my PC, which it is, it even has the MB listed.

So he said it "should" be OK as my account is linked to the PC, but it might not work, and again said I'd have to buy another licence.

Surely, if MS support know the risks, the first thing they should do is ask if I have the licence key, and if not, then go find it for me.

I upgraded from Win 8.1 so didn't have a licence key and never saw one.

Surely MS should give me a new key if the old one does not work as it was their support guy's fault that got me the BSOD.

Still don't know why the USB won't work, I've tried another USB stick and nothing.

Might try to buy another 8GB stick and re-download the ISO using Media Creation Tool and try again, I suppose the file could be corrupted.

What I really want to do is use the DVD and choose clean install, but with the licence thing hanging over my head, I can't.

Reaction score
You 100% certain you were on a Ms help number?

A Microsoft official would never have given this wrong information:
"Sat back and waited, still didn't boot up, so I asked whether to choose a totally clean install using the DVD and the MS guy said this would get rid of my licence key and I'd have to guy Win 10 at over $200.

Reaction score
I can give you the chat transcript if you like.

It was using MS support on line chat.

And what is wrong with what he said?

Are you saying that if I have a linked MS account that I can safely do a clean install?

Reaction score
Whatever. There response is incorrect if you have already, previously, installed a legit (or upgraded) windows 10- A new installation, and activation, is not associated with the install as such. It is attached to your Microsoft profile and motherboard.
A new installation will be automatically activated.

Reaction score
Thats good news, I'll try a clean install tonight using the DVD.

I think even if I do lose the licence I'll be writing to MS explaining what happened and that it was their support that caused the boot error.

I'll take a screenshot of my account details showing the PC and MB information first.

Reaction score
Just checked and my pc is still showing in my MS account.

It even shows the disks used, their sizes and free space, how spooky is that?

I'll do a save page rather than a screenshot.

Reaction score
Just remember, If you want to make a clean install. Your Windows 10 is registered as active. Do NOT put in a serial at the initial stage, just click next.

Reaction score
Right, now got a nice new flash drive and downloading Win 10 iso using Media Creation Tool for one last go with the usb way.

And something else I'm definitely not happy with. MS support used their remote use tool to download the iso and because of the time taken and because their chat window closes after a minute of non use or something, he used notepad to communicate.

I saved this to the desktop before he finished, so I had a copy of what went on, and then he shut down remote etc. but before he did he must have deleted the file because it's not there now. Covering his tracks i suppose.

Reaction score
Just remember, If you want to make a clean install. Your Windows 10 is registered as active. Do NOT put in a serial at the initial stage, just click next.

OK, used DVD, formatted SSD and clean installed Win 10.

Logged into MS account and now up and running with start button behaving itself.

Now to load all drivers and software.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Reaction score
Oh well, that didn't last long.

Just restarted and same boot error.

Maybe it's my old MB or something.

And I forgot to get the key before the restart.

So, load from DVD, get key, order new stuff.....

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

you don't need the key if W10 as already been activated, @davehc has already pointed that out to you, simply click on "I don't have a product key" (Your copy of W10 has a digital signature and the key is not necessary when doing a fresh re-install unless you are using a different version of W10!).

activate-windows-jpg.7861

Reaction score
I've had no problem in getting my Win 10 licence activated, just the BSOD at boot.

Managed to get the Win 10 key from the PC, just in case.

I also took the opportunity to get the latest BIOS from Gigabyte for my MB and flashed it last night.

It said it needed a restart to complete and I thought, oh here we go.

But it restarted fine, and has continued to start up fine since.

So evidently the latest update from MS upset something on the MB which the latest BIOS has sorted even though Gigabyte no longer support my MB and do not have specific BIOS for Win 10.

So at least it gives me breathing space to spec out a new system, probably with the i5 8400 instead of my core 2 duo.

All's well that ends well.

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

if all is well, please mark this thread as solved so it helps others. Thanks. :):):)

Ask a Question