Screen saver not working

Reaction score
I have searched all the posts about screen savers not working - it seems the only ones solved had to do with game devices interfering. I have W10 preinstalled on a new desktop computer and no gaming devices. When I go to the screen saver settings, it is always set at turning on after 1 minute, but it never does. If I put it at another time and keep the computer on, the screen saver works, but as others have found, if I shut down the computer, I'm back at no screen saver again. MS must have a fix for this since others have found this too.

Reaction score
I have searched all the posts about screen savers not working - it seems the only ones solved had to do with game devices interfering. I have W10 preinstalled on a new desktop computer and no gaming devices. When I go to the screen saver settings, it is always set at turning on after 1 minute, but it never does. If I put it at another time and keep the computer on, the screen saver works, but as others have found, if I shut down the computer, I'm back at no screen saver again. MS must have a fix for this since others have found this too.

I have exactly this issue too. I actually need my screensaver software to run so I have to reboot an older version of windows instead of logging off. Great Job Microsucks. You can't even get a screensaver to run. Really nice windows 10 upgrade. You wonder why people still run XP?

Reaction score
I have exactly this issue too. I actually need my screensaver software to run so I have to reboot an older version of windows instead of logging off. Great Job Microsucks. You can't even get a screensaver to run. Really nice windows 10 upgrade. You wonder why people still run XP?
Runs fine here. I actually know of no one, at least in the tech world, who runs Windows XP anymore. Then again, most people have more than 4gb of ram, which renders 32 bit OS's pretty useless.

Reaction score
My temporary fix has been to put the computer in Hibernate rather than shutting it down. This saves the power and screensaver settings. When I do shut it down, however, I need to reset the screensaver upon startup. I think this problem s pretty low on Microsoft's priority list.

Reaction score
My temporary fix has been to put the computer in Hibernate rather than shutting it down. This saves the power and screensaver settings. When I do shut it down, however, I need to reset the screensaver upon startup. I think this problem s pretty low on Microsoft's priority list.
Thanks for that idea! I'm sure it's not high on their list, but it can't be that difficult to fix. I do wish MS wouldn't release products that need so much fixing right away.

Reaction score
Runs fine here. I actually know of no one, at least in the tech world, who runs Windows XP anymore. Then again, most people have more than 4gb of ram, which renders 32 bit OS's pretty useless.
You may have big feet, but it seems like you don't use them much to go into the real world. I have dozens of customers with a vmware XP machine they use to run all the legacy 32 bit soft they need on a daily basis, not to mention the printers and scanners and other stuff that they use and for which they can't find drivers for win 8.1 or 10. Win 8.1 works fine when you disable all the stupid touch and tablet oriented gizmos, but win 10 is full of very annoying and extremely irritating little bugs for which MS has no fix. If it runs fine for you, that doesn't mean it will run fine for everyone. Reading mail and visiting a website in general poses no big problems.
And why 64 GB of RAM would make a 32 bit OS useless is something I don't understand. I have two XP VM's running on my PC under win 10 and most of the time I have an Ubuntu VM running at the same time with a Server 2003 I use as a backup mail server. 32-bit useless? I really don't think so. It's fast, runs all older soft, has no bugs and supports all hardware.

Reaction score
As mentioned in other posts I've seen, I disconnected my Logitec joystick from it's usb connection and now screensaver is working.

Reaction score
As mentioned in other posts I've seen, I disconnected my Logitec joystick from it's usb connection and now screensaver is working.
Like Christina above, I have no gaming devices and never have. Still looking for a fix. But in answer to Bigfeet, I am so glad I still have a laptop with XP on it. My scanner is not compatible with Windows 10 and so I have it connected to the XP and that is the only way I can use the scanner. The companies that do peripherals like scanners are taking their time about introducing Windows 10-compatible devices for scanning.

Reaction score
Christina, I have disconnected my usb devices one by one, waiting to see if saver goes on. The saver went on only when I disconnected the last one, Microsoft wireless desktop receiver, that controls my wireless keyboard and mouse. Then I connected all the usb devices again, including the wireless desktop receiver and the saver kept working. I don,t have an explanation why, but try it. Good luck !

Ask a Question