SOLVED Script Pop Up

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here. I upgraded to windows 10 over a year ago now straight away after buying my new desktop (Acer Revo One RL85). Since owning this machine I have a Windows Script Host pop up come up continuously throughout the day everyday.
545.PNG

1 year on and it is driving me crazy, I have googled everything and tried so many things that I now have no idea what to do and hope someone can help? Thanks in advance!

Billie

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Billie.

A couple of quickies.

Have you tried a computer search for the string 8F2E67ED-DFAC-B66B-6E2A-C6E9BEA81567?
First, look in the programData folder for 8F2E67ED-DFAC-B66B-6E2A-C6E9BEA81567 If it exists, then scroll through and see if you can identify the txt file. If you have found the path, but there is no txt file, you can cheat by making one with notepad. Leave it blank and add it precisely as you se i9n you script host.

Second, more delicate operation, is to open the registry. Open Edit - Search and type in the context 8F2E67ED-DFAC-B66B-6E2A-C6E9BEA81567. If you find an entry, you could delete it. You must export the registry before you attempt this, as it is not a hack for beginners.

Reaction score
Follow up

By coincidence, another member also has encountered a "script error" He did a self diagnose and found it was the Google toolbar add on which was causing the problem. You could try disabling. But, in his case, it was only happening when he used IE (with the toolbar) Both errors, his and yours, seem to originate from Java script. Not much we can do about it, for the moment, but it is becoming notorious for bugs and allowing rubbish to sneak onto computers.

Reaction score
Hi davehc,

Thanks for coming back to me. I have disabled all add-on/extensions so it is not that, I have searched for the string 8F2E67ED-DFAC-B66B-6E2A-C6E9BEA81567 and found nothing. I have also searched for the programdata folder of which if I do, I get millions of folders for everything on this computer, of which I cannot find anything like this string nor would I know exactly where this string would specifically sit. It is also not in the registry. Not sure what else I can do?

Billie

Reaction score
Try the disk clean up program in the admin tools. I have little hope that it will solve the problem, but worth a go. You could also download and install Ccleaner. An Excellent program for finding unattached garbage.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try Clean Booting your system and see if the problem persists.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
Trouble You are a wealth of information. I can learn something new on here every time I visit the Forum, that's good. I wasn't aware that Microsoft Services could be hidden. How is (hide MS Services) that done.

Reaction score
Trouble Thanks! my friend. I must say that I've been in System Config hundreds of times and can't say I've ever paid much attention to the checkbox. That's one I won't forget. I owe you another Glenfiddich.

Reaction score
Ran the ccleaner, it found 1027 problems in my registry, fixed and deleted them all but the pop up is still coming up defiant little thing!
Phew. Sorry. I should have warned you to backup (export) the registry first. Anyway, done now with no apparent problems.
The normal cleaning done by the program, is reliable. But I would not, from preference, clean the registry with any third party program.

Reaction score
As a minimum I would have created a restore point. CCleaner is a great program, thorough yet not overly aggressive. I've ran it for years, never had any problems with it use it at the end of every day before signing out.

Reaction score
Ran the ccleaner, it found 1027 problems in my registry, fixed and deleted them all but the pop up is still coming up defiant little thing!
Sorry, thread went a little off track then and I lost it. Did you try Trou8ble's suggestion in posts number (?

Otherwise, this could be a dirty uninstall from an App. Can you recall any Apps you have downloaded, possibly from the store, and deleted afterwards.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have not tried Trouble's suggestion just yet. Thanks for that and I shall look into that later on today, I did create a back up of the registry just in case Davehc. I have installed many app and uninstalled many apps from the store so possibly....when I first got the machine I uninstalled all the ones it had pre-installed as I would not be using them? Maybe it was that?

Reaction score
I suppose I would as if you have any idea what the dolo.txt file is related to? Or can you open it in Notepad and see what it says? The ProgramData folder is a hidden folder so you will need to have your system set to see those.

If you can't get it to stop, there is a program called Process Explorer which you can download from a Microsoft site. It has the ability to drag a pointer over the error message and show what process is running to put it up.

Before you do that you may just go down the running processes in Task Manager to see if anything jumps out at you.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals

Reaction score
Thanks Saltgrass but I do think davehc is right. The file does not exist which is why I am getting to pop up. Its not "Cassiopesa" I did all the checks and definitely not on my system. Interesting though...I have noticed that the pop up will come up, but stay hidden in the background (behind) for certain programs (citrix webinar and affinity designer so far) so not as annoying as when it jumps on top of anything I am working on in chrome for instance. Wonder if there is a way to push the pop up behind all the programs so it won't annoy me so much?

Ask a Question