Script to remove 2nd file extension

Reaction score
My first post here and hopefully this is the correct subforum.

Last week I had a ransomware event. I was able to remove the offending software but am now stuck with a cleanup job. The ransomware added a 2nd file extension to the original file extension. So I must remove only the 2nd extension, which is .gaqq. The 1st file extension is obviously variable. I can do this manually using bulk file change software but it's limited to single folder contents. I have 8 TBs that I need to go through.

I came across this in a search and it would be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm pretty good with computers but scripting is not within my area of expertise. I'd need some hand holding.

Thanks and cheers.

Reaction score
This reply is mostly an acknowledgement that the post has been seen. Because of the variable extensions I can't give a solution but will mention that I use Total Commander and Free Commander on a few computers for a third-party file management and they have a Rename function which works good with same-type files and changing the extension. An example is when saving a Web page they frequently have .php.htm as extension but the Rename can accept .php.htm as the original and .htm as the resultant change to get rid of the .php part. It may work to open a folder, select/highlight only the files with a particular extension, put the undesired extension in the Rename and put the desired extension and make the change. I make a second copy of any such folder I'm working on to prevent accidental loss of files. It is time-consuming so plan accordingly.

Ask a Question