Signon Password Error

Reaction score
In July I upgraded two PCs from Win 7 to Win 10.

Both machines were originally configured to require sign-on passwords for each user which comprised of basic lower case alphanumeric characters. These passwords are local to the respective machines so they are not Microsoft, Google or other accounts.

Whatever the problem, it is common to both these machines.

Whenever I sign-on, either from "Sleep" or a full boot, the respective machine plays a game of Russian Roulette with the sign-on password and I hold my breath each time not knowing if the password is to be accepted. If it is rejected, I can try over and over or even stand on my head, the password will be rejected until I reboot. So far I have never had the password rejected after one of these reboots.

To solve the problem, I thought I had a simple solution, just clear the old password carried over from Win 7 and enter a brand new password in Win 10. Win 10 I found though is smarter than that. Once I re-configured a new password in Win 10 it came back with the same problem.

I have this issue with two completely different machines so something must be wrong with the Win 10 setup.

Can anybody cast some light on this problem?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If it is rejected, I can try over and over or even stand on my head, the password will be rejected until I reboot.
Definitely sounds like an unusual issue.
Next time it happens.....
On the sign-in screen, click the Ease of Access icon in the bottom right of the screen and try using the On Screen Keyboard and see if the results are any different.
Additionally, use the "Eye" icon on the right side of the password text box to confirm that the password you are entering, for the user account being displayed, is in fact exactly correct as you have typed it.

Ask a Question