Slightly disappointed in the recent build.

Reaction score
It has been awhile since I logged in on the machine I have an Insider Build on. In fact the build version is 11082. I decided to install the most recent ISO build. After downloading build 14342, Classic Shell no longer works. That is completely unacceptable and I immediately went back to the previous build.

Me and my tin foil hat says MS did this on purpose. But without evidence I will keep an open mind.

So which of the latest builds does Classic Shell still continue to work correctly? Was it the latest that broke Classic Shell or are there a few other builds that do the same?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK,, as I haven't used Classic Shell in quite some time, but......
Did you try re-installing it after you upgraded to the latest build?
Sometimes, that's all it takes.
IF that doesn't work, then I suspect the Classic Shell folks are hard at work on a version that will work.

Reaction score
Did you try re-installing it after you upgraded to the latest build?
Sometimes, that's all it takes.
Yeah I tried Classic Shell 4.2.5c, Some new security measure in Windows wouldn't allow the app to install. Makes me wonder how many other apps were broken as well or if it is just Classic Shell being targeted.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK.... I've been so busy lately that I haven't even had a chance to upgrade to this new preview build.
Most of what I've read would seem to indicate that there wasn't much to it so Classic Shell may have not worked in a few of the more recent updates.
I'll have to take some time later on and see what I can find out with a little trial and error. I'll try running it on the immediate previous build before I upgrade to the latest.

Reaction score
The latest approach to the start menu, as seen in the recent builds are, as blogged, a little experimental to test for reaction. Possibly a later build will solve the problem with Classic shell.
Possibly MS do not want, at this stage, to have insiders to install it, in the interests of correct feedback. - This is, as you know, the price you pay to use early builds from the insider program

Reaction score
Not using their version of the Start Menu is my feed back. Why would I want to lie by insinuating there is nothing wrong with how they have built the Start Menu? That is negative and false information, no matter how much they want to hear it.

Reaction score
Truth is, I was OK with their Start menu. I had no reason to complicate it with, for example, Classic shell. I did try Classic a while ago, and admit that I thought it was cute.
But, (Trouble - I await your comment) , I was tempted to download the latest build, something I have avoided for a while
I am not supporting MS, but I really think they are trying to appease too many different viewpoints. I was appalled by the conglomeration of mixed options in the new, experimental, Start menu, and, if that is to be the final solution, I will certainly be looking for a third party alternative.

Reaction score
I have to say that I have no problem with any of the attempts at a new start menu...although I totally missed out on W8 and 8.1. The very latest one on 14352 works ok for me. I tend to put the apps I use most on the task bar and just the next tier down as tiles. Don't use news,money,music or any of that stuff. On the few occasions I use another app I really don't mind scrolling through the start apps list.

I have never used Classic shell or anything like it.

Reaction score
Hey!! Tim, I you saying you actually liked the "Classic" menu. Join the club! I thought it was great to just click those glorious icons and open a program. You can do it, to a certain extent, in 10.

Reaction score
Huh? I liked/had no problem with the way W2000/XP/7/10 came out of the box and just use it.

Reaction score
Sorry. Just read your previous post. You missed the classic menu. (Win 8/8.1)

Reaction score
There is a Classic Shell 4.2.7 that works great with build 14352. That being said, I have been disjointed with every build since 10586.

Reaction score
Maybe I'll have to try this Classic shell thing just to see what you guys are talking about !

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is a Classic Shell 4.2.7 that works great with build 14352.
Yep... what he said.
Attempted to install the latest stable build version 4.2.5c on Windows 10 Preview build (14342) and got the "Can't run on this version of Windows" error.
Downloaded 4.2.7 which is still showing as a "beta" build on the same Preview build and it worked fine.
Upgraded the Preview Build to the latest (14352) with Classic Shell in place and running and of course, the upgrade being almost like a new OS install reinstated the Windows 10 Start Menu, but.....
Just went back to Classic Shell settings and let it reconfigure itself for the new OS and it seemed to work fine again.
Then I promptly removed Classic Shell.
I'm perfectly content with the Windows 10 Start Menu as it currently exists and even prefer the newer one in the Redstone release over the one presently in the 10586 Threshold series.
I found myself a bit lost briefly, trying to navigate with the old Classic (windows 7) Start Menu on a Windows 10 Machine, although I can still see the appeal to someone just coming over from Windows 7 to 10.

Reaction score
I dislike the Windows 10 Metro look with a passion. If not for Classic shell I would probably still be on Windows 7.
Now The Lock screen does not display any apps-it used to
Steam will not show the steam news. I just get a black screen as in the imageView attachment 3087

Attachments

• steam Error.jpg
    steam Error.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 513
Reaction score
There is a Classic Shell 4.2.7 that works great with build 14352
thanks for this.

i actually love Windows 10 Start Menu, but i find it WAY TOO SLOW on all my machines.
i click and sometimes it takes a few seconds to open... then if i type.. sometimes search results are instant.. and sometimes it takes a while and doesnt always show what i want.
i dont get it? the concept is great, but it just doesnt work fast enough for average desktop user.

i was annoyed when classic shell didnt run on the latest build, but beta now working fine. back to full productivity! wish i could be fully productive without classic shell

Ask a Question