Start up with windows.old?

Reaction score
Win 10 pc hit by a power surge after Fiona hurricane. Had to use iso files to make startup usb. When computer started booting up I was given the choice of upgraded startup or regular. Chose the second method. Computer fired up but with a new operating system that means I lost all my previous setup. File structure shows but a good deal of previous installation not there. I have many backup files from easus todo but cant figure how to run it now. Will contact them later but what I really want is to get back to my previous setup. Can I reinstall with windows.old? How i got caught without backup tools is a long sad story.
Appreciate any advise.

Reaction score
If you made a full disk backup with Todo and you can access it, you should be able to make a bootable Todo stick and reinstall from your most recent backup.

Reaction score
If you made a full disk backup with Todo and you can access it, you should be able to make a bootable Todo stick and reinstall from your most recent backup.
Thanks for your interest. I do have a full disk backup but do not have the todo program that created it and all the other backups. The ‘windows recovery’ wiped my c drive along with all my downloaded programs. I have now contacted Easus and asked for their help. Will update my progress.

Reaction score

You can download and install the program on any working computer, then make a bootable disk or flash drive and restore your saved backup. It doesn't matter what computer the restore disk was made on. It will create the disk using the utility built into the program.

As long as you can find the backup file, it should be able to restore it once the computer is booted from the disk. The boot disk runs the computers even with nothing on your C:\ drive.

PS, I never put anything important that I want to protect on my C:\ drive, only Windows and some associated files. I can back up or restore my Windows Drive in about 10 minutes on my computer, which is all solid state.

Last edited:
Reaction score

You can download and install the program on any working computer, then make a bootable disk or flash drive and restore your saved backup. It doesn't matter what computer the restore disk was made on. It will create the disk using the utility built into the program.

As long as you can find the backup file, it should be able to restore it once the computer is booted from the disk. The boot disk runs the computers even with nothing on your C:\ drive.

PS, I never put anything important that I want to protect on my C:\ drive, only Windows and some associated files. I can back up or restore my Windows Drive in about 10 minutes on my computer, which is all solid state.
I finally took my computer into a computer shop that I know. They found the c drive was completely wiped. This only had the Win 10 program on it. The mechanical drive containing all my other stuff was scrambled but they could recover about 5% of the information. I opted to scrap the whole thing. The solid state C drive would be reusable but it was old and small so I opted not to buy an enclosure for it. I still do have a remote hard drive with a backup of the todo data files.
I purchased a microsoft Surface 9 on win 11. Just tried to put the Todo operating system on it but (of course) find that win11 will not allow it on this computer unless I take it out of S mode. So now I need to investigate this. In retrospect I should have held onto the old tower computer until I had sorted all this but there was also some home pressure to finally tidy up the sitting room!

Thanks for your interest and advice.

Reaction score
In retrospect I should have held onto the old tower computer until I had sorted all this but there was also some home pressure to finally tidy up the sitting room!
I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder, have Win11, Win10, Win7, WinXP Desktops and Win11, Win10, Win7, WinVista and Win3.1 Notebooks plus 1 each of Linux Mint but I do have my own computer room [original design of the double-wide was for optional nursery].

Reaction score
I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder, have Win11, Win10, Win7, WinXP Desktops and Win11, Win10, Win7, WinVista and Win3.1 Notebooks plus 1 each of Linux Mint but I do have my own computer room [original design of the double-wide was for optional nursery].
I presume you are now divorced!!!!!

Reaction score
Nah, we just do our own things, my vacations come when she's off on quilting retreats with our daughters.

Ask a Question