SOLVED Toshiba's TPM update ???

Reaction score
Hi !

I need some help regarding this TPM' s update.

As you know I'm French, so even if I use Google Translator or DeepL, I don't understand everything ! :p:(

Here is the text :

Updating TPM via Windows 10

WARNING

Before starting update, it is strongly recommended to back up the computer.

If you are required to clear the TPM owner, TPM will be reset back to factory defaults which will lose created keys and data protected by those keys.

• To run the TPM Firmware update tool, administrative privilege are required.
  1. In case you have the TPM Owner Password or the TPM Owner Password Backup File, proceed to 3.
  2. If both the TPM Owner Password and the TPM Owner Password Backup File are not found, you will need to initialize the TPM Owner Password.
    1. Run “regedit” from Start Menu. (Type “regedit” at “Search programs and files”.)
      1. “Registry Editor” appears.
    2. Clarify registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\TPM] OSManagedAuthLevel, and record original key data.
      1. Choose “Edit” – “Find…”.
    3. Type “OSManagedAuthLevel” at “Find what”, then press “Find Next”.
    4. Clarify upper text shows “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\TPM”, lower left text shows “OSManagedAuthLevel”, and take a note for the data.
      1. (In this screenshot case, “5”.)
    5. After updating the firmware, this register key shall be restored, so do not miss to take a note.
    6. Double click “OSManagedAuthLevel”. Below screen appears.
    7. Change “Value data” to 4, and press “OK”.
    8. Run “tpm.msc” from Start Menu, and choose “Clear TPM…” from “Actions”.
  3. Below screen appears. Choose “Restart” to restart the computer.
  4. After restart, BIOS warning message may appear. Press [F11] to clear TPM and proceed.
  5. Right click IFXTPMUpdate_TPM12_v0443.exe, choose “Run as administrator”.
  6. Check “Accept the terms of this license agreement”, and choose “Next”.
    1. If the AC adapter is not plugged in, a message will appear asking you to plug in the AC adapter and choose “Back” to return previous screen.
  7. Check platform details and choose “Next”.
  8. Provide the Owner Password if requested. In case does not appears, skip to 14.
    1. If you have an Owner Password as the Owner Password Backup File, choose “I have the Owner Password Backup File” and specify the file location by pressing “Browse...”.
  9. Choose “Update” to start firmware update.
    1. Run “regedit” from Start Menu. (Type “regedit” at “Search programs and files”.) “Registry Editor” appears.
      1. Search registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\TPM] OSManagedAuthLevel. Choose “Edit” – “Find…”.
      2. Type “OSManagedAuthLevel” at “Find what”, then press “Find Next”. Below screen appears after a while.
      3. Clarify upper text shows “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\TPM”, and lower left text shows “OSManagedAuthLevel”.
    2. Double click “OSManagedAuthLevel”. Below screen appears.
    3. Change “Value data” as data noted to 5, and press “OK”.

At 2.2, what do they mean by “ clarify ” ?

Do I edit the value of the only two keys I had found ?

There was no screenshot even if they say that there was one at 2.4.1 o_O ?????

Where do I find the TPM Owner Password and the TPM Owner Password Backup File ?

I exported the two keys I had found in a file.

Thanks for your help :)

Regards;) JAY B.

Reaction score
Clarify: pour faire quelque chose de clair ou plus facile à comprendre en donnant plus de détails ou une explication plus simple : Note et la valeur hexadécimale OSManagedAuthLevel [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\TPM] (compte rendu). Mien est réglé pour une valeur de 2, j’espère que cette aide

Clarify: To make something clear or easier to understand by giving more details or a simpler explanation:

Note and (record) the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\TPM] OSManagedAuthLevel hexadecimal value.

Mine is set for a value of 2 I hope this helps

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 1,111
Reaction score
Thanks Norton

I took note of the value, mine is set at 5, so does it mean that I have to modify it to 4, and then clear the TPM ?

And after I run the ,exe from Toshiba ?

Then I go in the Registry to set it at 5 like it was before or should I set it at 2 ?

Before doing something I could regret, I'll wait for your answer ! :p

Thanks again ! :);)

Reaction score
Jay B. I've have never been comfortable with modifying the registry, I'm no expert and don't claim to be. I will leave you question to the many experts on the forum. Whatever yo do, I suggest that you create a registry backup and a system image before attempting any registry changes.

Reaction score
Thanks Norton :)

I'll follow your advice, and wait for other answers.

I suggest that you create a registry backup and a system image

It's already done ! :)

I contacted Toshiba by email, and I'm still waiting for their answer ! :mad:
That's why I came here to ask. :p

Regards ;) JAY B.

Reaction score
Hi,

I got an answer from Toshiba ..... At last !

1. I had to set the value at « 4 » for the « OSManagedAuthLevel ».
  2. Run the « tpm.msc » and select « Clear TPM ».
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. At the BIOS warning, press F11.
  5. Run the « TPM Update ».
  6. Once it's done, I went back in the « Registry » to set the value at « 5 ».
That's all !

Regards ;) JAY B.

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this is a pretty long time since you posted this topic, but can you please tell me what the value 5 means for that setting as opposed to 2 or 4?

I have not been able to find the answer anywhere as to what setting that registry value to 5 does.

Thanks,
Scott

Reaction score
Hi !

I need some help regarding this TPM' s update.

As you know I'm French, so even if I use Google Translator or DeepL, I don't understand everything ! :p:(

Here is the text :

At 2.2, what do they mean by “ clarify ” ?

Do I edit the value of the only two keys I had found ?

There was no screenshot even if they say that there was one at 2.4.1 o_O ?????

Where do I find the TPM Owner Password and the TPM Owner Password Backup File ?

I exported the two keys I had found in a file.

Thanks for your help :)

Regards;) JAY B.
BROTHER PLZ REPLY ME

Reaction score
Can I follow the same procedure to update TPM to 2.0?
From where to download the exe file?
Advise in that area will rely upon knowing the details of the computer, type, make, model name, model number, etc. Usually updates are obtained from the maker of the device. I have a Desktop with the TPM socket on the motherboard and a Notebook with TPM 1.2, haven't found either the module for the motherboard or if an update is available yet for the Notebook. For my need with timing of clients' needs I got a new 14" Notebook and Win11 Pro.

Ask a Question