SOLVED Turning off OneDrive

Reaction score
I want to turn off OneDrive backup completely without deleting any information in my local OneDrive folders. How do I do that ?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You can create another folder in your documents folder and name it "desktop icons" and drag the contents of your old OneDrive folder into the new folder. Then delete the old onedrive folder. Once you've done all that......I would just delete OneDrive all together.

Reaction score
You can create another folder in your documents folder and name it "desktop icons" and drag the contents of your old OneDrive folder into the new folder. Then delete the old onedrive folder. Once you've done all that......I would just delete OneDrive all together.
The icons appearing on my desktop show that they are located in the Desktop folder beneath the OneDrive folder. If I create any new folder on my desktop it is placed in the Desktop folder beneath the OneDrive folder.

Even worse is that the OneDrive mechanism insists on creating a Documents folder beneath the OneDrive folder where new documents are somehow directed to create themselves and insists on creating a Pictures folder where new Pictures are sdomehow directed to create themselves. And this nonsense is going on despite the fact that I have completely unlinked OneDrive and am not signed in.

Reaction score
Sign into your one drive account web-based page.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/onedrive/online-cloud-storage
Once signed in, move all your data to an external source...ie HDD, USB flash drive. Once you have that, then delete One Drive.
I already deleted all my files from my OneDrive online account. I have backups of all those files already. I can not delete the OneDrive folder on my local PC. My actual local PC desktop creates all new folders and icons in the Desktop folder beneath the OneDrive folder. Also new documents and pictures are evidently created locally in the Documents and Pictures folders beneath the OneDrive folder. All of this happens despite the fact that I have unlinked OneDrive on my local computer and am not signed in. I have no idea what I have to do further to turn off OneDrive for my local Windows 10.

Reaction score
No no....not the folder.....the actual software. Go to settings, Apps, apps and features, scroll down till you see One Drive and highlight it and then select delete.
Even after deleting OneDrive all new items created on the desktop are put in the OneDrive\Desktop subfolder. How can I tell Windows 10 to create new desktop items in some other folder ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
What items are you creating on the desktop?.

Whatever you have in the OneDrive folder, enter the folder and press Ctrl + a which marks all the files, right click an empty area and then on "move to" and give it the path and move the files there!. Once done, delete the OneDrive folder!. ;)

Reaction score
What items are you creating on the desktop?.

Whatever you have in the OneDrive folder, enter the folder and press Ctrl + a which marks all the files, right click an empty area and then on "move to" and give it the path and move the files there!. Once done, delete the OneDrive folder!. ;)
Any item I create on the desktop, using the right-click New menu item, gets placed in the OneDrive\Desktop folder. Often this is just a desktop folder where I place links to items or where I create new subfolders. But clearly I can not move the items under OneDrive\Desktop in preparation for deleting the OneDrive folder entirely, when my desktop items all point to the OneDrive\Desktop folder and any new items I create on the desktop will be placed in the OneDrive\Desktop folder. If you are saying that if I delete my OneDrive\Desktop folder all new desktop items will be created somewhere else automatically once the OneDrive and the OneDrive\Desktop folder have been deleted I can try this but I would rather not make changes to my desktop until I am sure everything will work properly.

Reaction score
The more you create on the desktop, the harder it will get to delete the OneDrive folder. As long as you have all your important files backed up, I would delete the OD folder and start again but that is up to you!. ;)

Ask a Question