Unable to open Web pages with mouse

Reaction score
I can search the web for relevant pages and the results of the search are listed as normal but when I try to click on a site to open it the hand icon doesn't appear and nothing happens!
If I enter the full address in the box provided it takes me to the site as normal so my connection to the web is ok.
Any advice appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You don't mention, which browser you are using.
Have you tried an alternate browser like Chrome or Firefox or Start -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer??

Reaction score
Hi Trouble
I'm using Internet Explorer and I don't really want to change that. Giving it some thought unless I can find a simple fix I suppose I ought to delete IE and re install it.
What do you think?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose I ought to delete IE and re install it.
Internet Explorer is not really something you can delete and re-install.
You can turn it off and on using the Turn Windows features on or off utility, which is part of the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel.
IF you are using IE, then have you tried Edge? Does it do the same thing?

You might want to try running the native System File Checker utility to see if it finds any problems.
Open an elevated command prompt and type
sfc /scannow
and see what that produces.

Reaction score
I tried turning IE off and back on again, I ran an elevated Command Prompt, and I restored Windows to a previous state. None of which made any difference.
Everything does still work with Firefox and Windows Edge so I shall give up now and use Edge in future.
Thanks for your help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try launching Internet explorer without extensions
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run" from the context menu.
In the Run dialog box type
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
and hit
Enter or click OK
See if that makes any difference.

You'll then need to use the URL address bar to navigate to a page / site, where you can then attempt to click some links to see if they work.

Last edited:

Ask a Question