Underutilized "dedicated to ReadyBoost" USB drive

Reaction score
I inserted an empty 7.2 Gb USB drive in order to dedicate it to ReadyBoost but Windows 10 does not allow me to increase the maximum past 4094Mb "for optimal performance". I read of users connecting much larger drives for that purpose. What am I doing wrong/not getting? Is there a way to override/circumvent this limitation while also improving performance? TIA

Reaction score
Check the formatting of the card, by default and for full use should be NTFS. I use an 8GB that was formatted FAT32 for cameras and adding it in for ReadyBoost got reformatted by Win10 as NTFS and allowed choosing as full size, capacity shows as a red bar in File Explorer meaning all the space is in use. The actual figures for mine show 5.98 MB free of 7.39 GB.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thought I'd mention that just this AM I took the Vostro 1510 I was using ReadyBoost on out of service and moved the SD card to an HP Notebook. I plugged the card in, used File Explorer to format it as NTFS [clean it] then in Properties set up ReadyBoost.
Untitled.png

Ask a Question