Dedicated backup drive won't let anthing to be written to or deleted from it for no good reason!

Reaction score
Windows 10 Enterprise 2016

I tried to restore to a previously 'created restore point' but it failed (System restore error 0x80070091).
Because I had an Audio Driver issue...

Meantime I fixed my audio card driver problem (reinstall)...

But immediately two irrelevant things are screwed up now:

My dedicated 6TB backup drive won't let anything to be written to or deleted from it for no good reason!
It started to show error: The Recycle Bin on Y:\ is corrupted...
"Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this Drive?" I click Yes.
But of course, the system won't let me due to problem number 1.
"You need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder."

This drive is a 6 TB data drive and has been serving with no issues about a year now.
And the drive shows no indication of errors or any weaknesses. S.M.A.R.T. stats are all green.
My other system has no such problems with it.

What I have tried so far

- sfc /scannow: No Problems

- I did the change the owner to 'Everyone' and included the sub-folders.
It scanned the whole drive and seemed like it completed the task without any errors.

- I activated the built-in admin account. takeown /F Y:\ /R It took, of course, forever to scan the drive.
Results of that scan:
Mostly: "SUCCESS" (including a bunch of Recycle stuff)
Few: "The system cannot find the path specified."
And This "You do not have permissions to read the contents of directory blah..."
"Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control?
"YES" Scanned twice as much more:
"Success in all entries"

Yet nothing has changed! I still don't have any permission for that Drive but reading permission...

Why now?! Why after trying (and failing) to Restore the system?
The second OS that I am building as a workstation has no such problem and the only difference between the one with the problem is that one doesn't have U.A.C.

Any expertise help will be cherished...

Reaction score
Sounds like since you have UAC turned off that the computer is protecting itself from an insecure device?

Reaction score
I have Two systems.
My primary (work in progress) Workstation built is the one without U.A.C. And that one has no such problem.
It is the (at the moment Trial) this, the second OS Driver with U.A.C. that has the problem with it...

Reaction score
Hi cemster,

does disk management show anything unusual at all?:

upload_2018-4-22_5-22-32.png

:)

Reaction score
Is the Backup partition D: being used by or was created by a backup program? That could be controlling or denying use for other things.

An issue I hate to see is using the same drive, with different partitions, for backups, if things happen to the drive the data on the partitions can be lost, better to do backups on a second drive or on an External USB or eSATA drive.

Reaction score
Does the drive have the admin rights set correctly if you cannot read or write to it?, is the partition mounted(ing) on boot?. :)

Reaction score
It is not a regular backup drive, it is more like a big data drive which I have important stuff to be in use all the time... Thus, like all the other drives running in the system, (about twelve of them) have their backups or images...

Also, I'd like to point out again that the drive itself has no problem, as my other, (offline WS) has no issues with it what so ever... This is Windows acting weird... If I wasn't online I would disable UAC like I did with the other one...

Reaction score
UPDATE

So two more of my drivers start to behave just like my DATA drive. Again only with this OS (with UAC)
The other system as always has no access issues to any of, now in total; three drives...
During this problem with the original DATA drive, I was using this external drive just fine like every other day...
Prior to this external one, there is no event that could be a cause; like a failed Restore Point or some other error containing a major event.
(And there were another 1TB HDD which was also only readable. But I reformated it for restoring Images anyway...)
Unless this thing is contagious through drives, this is bound to be a Windows dance, no?

Reaction score
Have you checked you share and security settings for these drives?
So I made 'System' the owner and the rights are all checked. Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute Etc...

Nothing has changed... As far sharing goes, I never turned any sharing services on from beginning on.

Reaction score
Hi cemster,

how are you logging in, with a local account or an MS account?, that may have something to do with it the problem?. :)

Reaction score
Hi cemster,

I know you said you checked the admin rights but did you make sure that the local account also has them too?. ;)

Reaction score
As far as I know, every each of them has all the permissions checked (except the special one)...

Ask a Question