Windows Backup

Reaction score
I went to Updates and Security/Backup and I have the "Backup using file history" turned on. "More Options" shows my external hard drive as the location.

What is the folder named that contains this data? There is only one folder in that drive that I don't recognize and it is labeled "xxc83em7.default -" followed by a string of numbers. Does this folder contain the files generated from Windows Backup?

Also wondering about settings for my Windows Backup. It is set to backup files daily and keep backups forever. Is this correct?

Thank you
Cindy

P.S. I've read that the new Win 10 update has been deleting people's files. Looks to me like it would be a good time for Microsoft to STOP releasing this update until they get it fixed. Sound like a reasonable, good idea? I mean, rather than people losing valuable pictures and documents that they thought were safe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Really MS Backup has never been reliable or easy to use. I would suggest it would be a good time to move your backup protocol to Macrium Reflect Free the free version will create full drive back up Images and run differentials to that full back up. Very Reliable program If you need a little help getting started with it here is a very good Tutorial

Reaction score
I agree. I found Windows backup utility to be very unreliable. I use AOMEI, but Macrium is the go to free backup program.

Reaction score
I use Backup just as another safety net. I have no idea what that file is. When you click on "More Options" it should show the actual file folders that you added to backup. I use the daily backup, you can also trigger a manual backup event; "More Options" > Backup now. I would turn off "Stop Using" your backup drive, "More Options > See Advanced settings. Then set up your external backup HD again, select folders to back up.

The above posts give you good advice, that is don't rely on this app as your only backup. It's always been flaky.

Reaction score
What is the folder named that contains this data?

upload_2018-10-7_9-6-31.png

Reaction score
@ Nikilet - I keep a running backup of data with file history. I also back up selected data folders to another system using Cobian Backup. Selected files are also backed up to Onedrive. I also clone my data drive monthly using Aomei Backup Standard.

Also wondering about settings for my Windows Backup. It is set to backup files daily and keep backups forever. Is this correct?

I filled up a 2 TB drive that way. Now I have it set to Daily and keep 3 Months. These settings seem to be manageable.

Gary

Reaction score
I already use Macrium free. And I have many things backed up on my external and also to my Amazon Drive and OneDrive. I had read that the Windows backup was not real reliable, but also read something about being able to go into in and replace a folder that had become corrupt so I thought it might be wise to keep it running too. I don't think you can do that with Macrium, can you?

But bottom line is, I supposedly have this Windows backup going to my external. I can't find anything in the external that looks like it might be this Windows backup folder and I'm wondering what it is called. I do have one folder I can't identify (screenshot) and was wondering if that might possibly be the Windows backup.

Attachments

• folder.PNG
    folder.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Reaction score
How many disc's does it take OMG I'm using this Macrium Reflect and working on DVD # 9 @ only 50%. I hope I understand if I lose my system this will bring it back?

Reaction score
How many disc's does it take OMG I'm using this Macrium Reflect and working on DVD # 9 @ only 50%. I hope I understand if I lose my system this will bring it back?
I purchased a very nice external hard drive from amazon.com. It is 1TB and not that expensive. It would be so worth it, and in the end you would probably save money over all the discs you have to have on hand. With this you would just designate this external as your backup drive and forget it. I hope I am not breaking any rules by giving you the model I purchased. If so, I apologize to the moderators and ask them to please let me know.

I have purchased two of these drives, one for my laptop and one for my desktop and have had no problems with them.

It is
Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEA1000400)

Reaction score
Thanks but my question is how many is this going to take? I have a box of 30, also I do not intend to continue to do these back ups, and hope if all is lost this will reinstall my system. anyone have answers to these questions. They are RW so I can always format and use for something else if I choose.

Reaction score
Thanks but my question is how many is this going to take? I have a box of 30, also I do not intend to continue to do these back ups, and hope if all is lost this will reinstall my system. anyone have answers to these questions. They are RW so I can always format and use for something else if I choose.
I have no idea how many discs it will take because I don't use discs. I really can't give you any expert advise. Macrium is supposed to be very reliable and very good. If you have things set correctly, yes, it should reinstall EVERYTHING -- if that's what you have it set to do. But it will only do so according to the last time you run your Macrium backup, and since our computers are changing all the time, why would you not continue to do the backups?

Reaction score
If I would need to use 15 DVD's each time then no thanks all important things like photo's, video's are saved in several different options. Not to mention the hours it ties up my main PC.

Bif

Reaction score
The simplest and most cost effective way to to do it is to purchase an external hard drive 500 gigs to 1TB as they are your best option for backups.
Then you can do periodic or regular backups of all of your data, the DVD method just doesn't make sense as you are finding out.

Reaction score
Just so I can reinstall my W10 system if needed, I'm good with it, I can always do updates after. It's almost done #16 is in now.

Reaction score
But bottom line is, I supposedly have this Windows backup going to my external. I can't find anything in the external that looks like it might be this Windows backup folder and I'm wondering what it is called.

On my systems it's called File History. It's possible that it could have been renamed to something else.

I do have one folder I can't identify (screenshot) and was wondering if that might possibly be the Windows backup.

can you open the file to see what is in it? Here is a partial snap of My File History to see how it is set up.

File History.jpg

Reaction score
@Aputernut
Not to mention the hours it ties up my main PC.

That is the main advantage to using an external hard drive in lieu of DVD's. With the hard drive, once it's set up, the program runs unattended. You could have your backup run after you go to bed, or at a time when you won't be using the computer. We have several computers in the house, and the main ones are on 24/7. Backups, updates and other distractions are scheduled to run when we are (hopefully) sleeping.

Reaction score
@Nikillet

I had read that the Windows backup was not real reliable, but also read something about being able to go into in and replace a folder that had become corrupt so I thought it might be wise to keep it running too. I don't think you can do that with Macrium, can you?

The MR docs (Macrium Reflect v7 User Guide) in the File and folder backups section says that the backup "can be restored directly or browsed using Windows Explorer."

Reaction score
I went to Updates and Security/Backup and I have the "Backup using file history" turned on. "More Options" shows my external hard drive as the location.

What is the folder named that contains this data? There is only one folder in that drive that I don't recognize and it is labeled "xxc83em7.default -" followed by a string of numbers. Does this folder contain the files generated from Windows Backup?

Thank you
Cindy

P.S. I've read that the new Win 10 update has been deleting people's files. Looks to me like it would be a good time for Microsoft to STOP releasing this update until they get it fixed. Sound like a reasonable, good idea? I mean, rather than people losing valuable pictures and documents that they thought were safe.

Reaction score

Thank you
Cindy

On my computer, the folder is File History as well. As far as the settings go, if you click on "More options", then you can select the backup frequency, how long to keep them and select the folders you want to backup. This new File History backup is not like the old Windows backup and is much more useful. The files are stored as regular files. If you want to restore a file, just click on "Restore file from a current backup" at the bottom of that same page. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I use Start / Control Panel / Backup and Restore W7 (To Backup W10) / Create System Repair Disk (on My Passport Ultra) .
Pick the correct option.
The first option given.

Ask a Question